Fitment of FMIC, 76mm outlets, retain fogs.. reducer?

ToonRing-G

Audi Virgin
Reaction score
Website
www.toon-ring.co.uk
Hi folks, I have a 600x300x76mm Intercooler I got fairly cheap, and I'm looking to retain my fogs when I fit it, ive read over the large intercooler page and seen the various fitting methods and concluded that its going to be impossible to get 76mm hoses and keep the fogs, the only option is losing them.

However, my question is, could I use a reducer down to say.. 60mm? and retain them that way? would there be enough space behind the bumper to have a 76mm-60mm reducer hose and keep my fogs?

The only other option I can see is selling this FMIC and getting another one with smaller outlets, and id really rather avoid it!

with all due respect guys, that thread is now 20-odd pages long and thus far, all I have found out is that it cant be done (westy used 90 degree 76-63mm joiners and couldn't retain fogs, well, couldn't keep the grilles) so I still cant see where the keeping fogs with reducers option is..

You just answered your own query, westy kept the fogs. Not the grills.
It was fogs that you said you wanted to keep.

Essentially, to sum that thread up, if you're using a 300x600x76 core, you need welded outlets in order to keep fogs AND grills.
Dani claims he did it with reducers, but I don't think anyone has seen his car and hes been a member since he was a featus.

Reactions: s3dave and Dani_B19
Lmfao @ karl. Paul, avlo and shaun have all seen my car and can vouch for the cooler lol, but yes I have fitted the wellycooler with 76-63mm reducers and kept the fogs, id dare say id be able todo it all in 76mm if needed but it isnt.

Slightly off topic but does the fmic need to be so big? Ive found an fmic with the dimensions recommended but with 63mm outlets. Saves reducing?

I'm fitting the same fmic (welly cooler) well the same as Karl . Welding 63mm 90deg bends on and basically following the man of steels thread . Everything you need is in his thread . A question too Karl did you cut the bends down before welding them and is it worth pointing one down a bit and off setting them in the cooler . So I don't have to bend that bracket and so I don't have to cut as much away . I'm going to weld them myself so I'm open to suggestions .

Tom what coolers that? Also what size is the pipework?

The only other option I can see is selling this FMIC and getting another one with smaller outlets, and id really rather avoid it!

There is a cooler out there with 600x300x76 dimensions and with 2.5" outlets. PM me if you want more info on where to buy it from as I don't think there available on ebay AFAIK.

I'm still waiting for mine in the post :)

Chris

Why do you need 3inch pipe work?

63mm will support more than most need,
500bhp easy.

You dont. Its just most coolers of that size have 3 inch outlets so you reduce down after.

I'm fitting the same fmic (welly cooler) well the same as Karl . Welding 63mm 90deg bends on and basically following the man of steels thread . Everything you need is in his thread . A question too Karl did you cut the bends down before welding them and is it worth pointing one down a bit and off setting them in the cooler . So I don't have to bend that bracket and so I don't have to cut as much away . I'm going to weld them myself so I'm open to suggestions .
I didn't cut the bends no. Il get some measurements for you as soon I can

Cheers pal . I read in another post of yours that you would like to learn to weld . I've been welding for 20 years stick gas mig and tig welding if you ever want a few lessons I would be happy to help . Got loads of scrap you could play with .

Reactions: Dani_B19 and superkarl
You dont. Its just most coolers of that size have 3 inch outlets so you reduce down after.

Sorry I actually miss read a few posts lol!

I'm going to be looking for a cooler shortly, originally I was going to go for the ah one, I probably still will, but I'll be looking to see what's out there as well,

If you know some one with the tig gear can always cut the outlets off and weld on 63mm outlets.

Im in the annoying situation i cant change to an fmic until my insurance ie due for renewal. Admiral dont cover them. Ill see if i can source a link for the fmic i saw

The thing with using silicone on the outlets of a core, 63 or 76, is that the silicone is a good 3-4mm thick.
It will never be as good a solution as welded on pipework like the AH or like some of us have done with the wellycooler.

Thats with reducers.. The best i could get it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Karl! I remember that sunburnt day! Next year im bringing sun cream, you can rub it on my back lol

hahahaha! im going on the strip next year! But back to the thread.. I had to trim the grilles abit to make it fit as much!

I got my 90's welded on to my welly and kept the fogs, grilles and everything looking oem. It was really really easy. However much I'd like to claim genius status for this I ruthlessly stole it from Karl's thread, cheers Karl :)

My last s3 i had in 2005 had a universal cooler. Was a 550x280x65 core with 63 outlets. This made me able to fit silicone joiners to the cooler instead of silicone 90's. Then i used an alloy 45 (i believe) like karl says the outside diameter of alloy is much less than the silicone. I kept my fogs and all grills (grills needed sanding the back off a touch) but it looked completely oem. But from what i research now most would say that the cooler i used was too small. A mate logged the car and he was impressed with all the results. Any thoughts?

this would be perfect!

Our good friend mr Beach Buggy now sells just that karl!

BBT now sell a cooler which uses the same core and end tanks as the welly cooler, 600x300x76, but with 63mm inlet and outlets :)

Perfect for anyone wanting to save vital space retaining fogs and grills, and works out at a similar cost to buying the wellycooler core and reducers anyway, so it's a no brainer for anyone concerned about looks.

You all know where to find him too :) search beachbuggyturbos on facebook :)

thanks guys, just shows that a bargain aint really a bargain if its going to turn into a complete ball-ache to get the fit I want! so either I'm getting pipes welded on, or the FMIC is getting sold on and i'll just have to get another one! baws!

Is bbt only on facebook? Im not on it as its the root of all evil. I found one overall sizes 790x300x75 with 63mm outlets under a ton. But would favor something tested.

Dan isn't just on facebook no mate, he's also on here as BeachBuggy, or if you have no joy drop me a PM and I'll sort you out an e-mail address and phone number :)

Karl if you could have a look and see what size pipes you used I know there where 63mm o/d but what length where they . Might get a week off soon and try and get a shed load of work done to the car .

So is that 930mm between the pipes or the center of the pipes cheers Steve