Well that was a fun job.
It's done now, but I will probably be doing it again in a few months as money troubles meant I had to go for an ECP stat this time.
Will see if it has cured my erratic temp issue when I next drive the car. Fair few jobs to be done tomorrow before I can do that though.
Luckily the dipstick tube didn't give me any hassle, and I didn't touch the alternator. I ended up using a small 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket on the bottom thermostat housing bolt. I am just hoping I managed to get it tightened up enough when putting it back together. Paranoia has really set in now, especially after the day I've had.
I'm going to get this bloody car sorted if it's the last thing I do.
Tomorrow I am swapping out the knackered/butchered headlights and replacing the tie rods and tie rod ends. I'm sure that will be fun itself!