Changed my thermostat - What a mare

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
Well that was a fun job.

It's done now, but I will probably be doing it again in a few months as money troubles meant I had to go for an ECP stat this time.

Will see if it has cured my erratic temp issue when I next drive the car. Fair few jobs to be done tomorrow before I can do that though.

Luckily the dipstick tube didn't give me any hassle, and I didn't touch the alternator. I ended up using a small 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket on the bottom thermostat housing bolt. I am just hoping I managed to get it tightened up enough when putting it back together. Paranoia has really set in now, especially after the day I've had.

I'm going to get this ****** car sorted if it's the last thing I do.

Tomorrow I am swapping out the knackered/butchered headlights and replacing the tie rods and tie rod ends. I'm sure that will be fun itself!

Satisfaction mate!!!! Better than paying a garage 40_50 £ per hr

Took me the best part of a year to get mine running smoothly, worth it when you get there, then you start spending all your money on mods instead :p

Reactions: Tsportaudia3
Absolutely. I was supposed to be spending my money sorting a few issues on my 535D but it's all going into this thing at the moment.

Still worrying about that bottom bolt not being tight enough, but it will be. I really am just a worrier.

Going back out for the next job in a sec.

Done my mates on his TT yesterday, was harder than my A3, seemed a lot less room.

Very satisfying to do, once I had sat down and warmed up.

I actually found that using a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket was FAR easier for the bottom bolt than anything in any of the guides I read.

Just waiting for the car to get upto temp now with the lid off the coolant tank....

Good work mate.....keep it up!!!

Finally managed to have the car out today and the temp stuck at 90 all day. Very pleased with that!

Need to find out what's causing the hunting revs/occasional cutting out now!

Has been a couple of weeks since I've done mine and still appears well I had the same worry about not getting the bottom bolt tight enough! I have a very slight blip on idle I haven't tracked down yet hardly noticeable but bothers me when I'm waiting in the car. Need to get the sump cleaned and dogbone changed first your thread has spurred me on a bit!

I need to get round to doing mine, where did you guys get yours?

I think mines stuck as I barely ever go over 65-70 on the gauge even in traffic.

Mine was from Pw Europarts as they are local and helpful in there but if you have an Audi dealer local it should be in stock. I took the chance to swap my coolant too so grabbed two bottles of G12 while I was there.

Got mine from ECP. I know people recommend genuine ones but £10 vs £27 on out for me this time. I've already spent up on the rest of the car!

Newby alert!!!!

For my life, I can't get to the bottom bolt! Only way I see thro it is removing inlet manifold or slackening alternator off (a lot!). Peeps on other threads say its a 30 min job & in the dark ermm: T.B.H I wouldn't even know how to slacken the alternator off. I've replaced the oil stick sleeve so that's no prob to get on & off. I also noticed some perished vac rubber vac hoses when I slackened off the metal plate (I'm guessing these are my air hoses for vac pressure!?). You make it sound so easy but its opened a small can of worms for me so far!

Its still running as before but my pride is hurt now:mad: I've serviced my previous cars no probs. Thermo won't come off this one though! Is the best way to remove the inlet manifold? My gasket needs replacing anyway & plugs are due for a change too, the coils are old too so may well shatter when I remove them - Should I "go for it" and do the thermo; rocker gasket, plugs & coils (if needed) all at once ??

Opinion is MASSIVELY appreciated :unsure:

do a search for me, i posted some pics (from an oter site to be fair) and it gives you info. i have done mine with 10mm socket and small ratchet from halfords pro set,

mark

It's not a big job to change inlet gasket, if you're struggling changing the thermostat it will be easier to get at the thermostat bolts with the inlet off, I used a 1/4 drive socket set to Change my thermostat

I did my golf 1.8t and my mums 225 TT the other Saturday with out too much bother... Just used a 3/8 ratchet with extension, wobble joint thing and 10mm socket on the end of that... Deffo shouldn't have to touch the inlet or alternator!

Also, on the coil packs, they're on recall with Audi. If they're still all genuine VAG coil packs in there then you may be entitled to get them swapped out for free :)

It's not a big job to change inlet gasket, if you're struggling changing the thermostat it will be easier to get at the thermostat bolts with the inlet off, I used a 1/4 drive socket set to Change my thermostat

Please bare with me fellas, my internet is running on a mobile dongle right now & connection is p** poor (its taken 15 mins to send this msg!). I appreciate both your replies. Need my internet back on though. Hopefully i'll be able to tap into your knowledge when I'm up & running properly - its all breaking down at the mo :sob:

Mmmmm! Inlet & alternator are v. close doing this, with the ratchet & extension between the 1 & 11 inlet exhaust its not possible (with my ratchet) to get one 'click'. Maybe I need professional tools with closer ratchet mechanisms etc :readit: Maybe I'm bordering being stupid & shouldn't attempt mechanical repairs:wacko:

I promise to keep the thread updated whatever I do! Cheers for the help though, I'd be completely stuck without it :thumbsup:

Cheers:icon_thumright: I'll get to grips with my extensions & wobbles in the morning:wub: Oil change 1st thing then need to check oil pressure.

More questions there: where is oil pressure test port on 18t '99 ajq?:thumbsup:

I'll get n upload some pics when I've been thro it all, it may help more peeps in future - rckn you guys are more advanced & on to better things than this, cheers anyway!

I found with mine that getting a socket onto the bottom bolt with an extension was just impossible.

I used a little Halfords 1/4" ratchet with a tiny extension and 10mm socket.

Don't forget you can also try a 5mm Allen key but it might not go into the hole on the bolt very well if it's full of crap.

Read up on an alternator replacement to see how to slacken that off if you really need to. It's only two bolts, but you should be able to avoid that if you just use a small socket.