Badger5Chris Nott
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By s3cya
  • 1 Post By JimS3
  • 1 Post By superkarl

Thread: What is realistic achievable power from a 1.8t??

1st Gear

Status

What is realistic achievable power from a 1.8t??

Hi right guys going to be getting my 2nd s3 Ina few months I really want to go biggish power really hoping around 400whp, is this achievable from a ko4 hybrid I will be able to do all internals etc just really want to know what I can achieve or would a bigger turbo be better? All help greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Alright mate! Long time no see lol
    best bet is give us your budget and go from there...so many options dude
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

1st Gear

Status
    Hello Russ how are you pal?
    Yes been a while cannot wait to get back into another, but going to buy a low mileage beaut this time how is yours going? Budget is negotiable (with missus) but roughly 6k a year so mods will be monthly quarterly.
    slowcoach3 likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    All good thanks pal, my old dear is flying if I was starting from scratch again I'd be doing a tfsi conversion with a hybrid k04, all the benefits of stock components and power delivery and I should think a wee bit more cost effective than a brand new garret blower. I'll drop you a pm when I finish work as I Feckin hate using my phone lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    You won't get 400whp from a hybrid K04 normally fitted to S3's....

You will need a GT30 or GT35 to get into that region of whp...

Realistically, a 1.8t will do 600+ hp with the right turbo strapped to it but obviously the rest of the engine needs to be built to take that level of hp...

If you are doing this a bit at a time then I would suggest getting the engine sorted first...

As mentioned though... the TFSI K04 shows promise... 370hp (at the flywheel, we aren't american) can be had with the right mods and its yet to be seen what a hybrid is capable of but could be in the 400hp region...

Any engine going for this level of power should be sound, have rods and arguably if heading towards 400hp on a larger framed turbo valve train too...

Biggest issue I have seen lately is worn engines... anything over 100k miles seems to vary massively... have seen sound high mileage engines like Gops make decent power but others are just too tired requiring a full rebuild..

You won't get power by bolting a GT35 onto a tired engine...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    You won't get 400whp from a hybrid K04 normally fitted to S3's....

You will need a GT30 or GT35 to get into that region of whp...

Realistically, a 1.8t will do 600+ hp with the right turbo strapped to it but obviously the rest of the engine needs to be built to take that level of hp...

If you are doing this a bit at a time then I would suggest getting the engine sorted first...

As mentioned though... the TFSI K04 shows promise... 370hp (at the flywheel, we aren't american) can be had with the right mods and its yet to be seen what a hybrid is capable of but could be in the 400hp region...

Any engine going for this level of power should be sound, have rods and arguably if heading towards 400hp on a larger framed turbo valve train too...

Biggest issue I have seen lately is worn engines... anything over 100k miles seems to vary massively... have seen sound high mileage engines like Gops make decent power but others are just too tired requiring a full rebuild..

You won't get power by bolting a GT35 onto a tired engine...

<tuffty/>
    When you say tired, anything in particular crop up regularly? Rings? Vale guides etc?

4th Gear

Status
    Jimmy are you being paranoid?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach3 View Post
    Jimmy are you being paranoid?
    Good to know what's worth replacing while doing an engine build!
    slowcoach3 likes this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS3 View Post
    When you say tired, anything in particular crop up regularly? Rings? Vale guides etc?
    All the above... stem seals too... just had an S3 in with 130 ish k on the clock... stem seals were leaking that much oil that the engine misfired on idle... bores were so worn that not even new rings would seal...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    All the above... stem seals too... just had an S3 in with 130 ish k on the clock... stem seals were leaking that much oil that the engine misfired on idle... bores were so worn that not even new rings would seal...

<tuffty/>
    Will do exhaust guides and all stem seals anyway, don't fancy boring the block though.

Strange how you hear some still have factory honing marks at that mileage and some are totally clapped.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    1000hp

What we do here in the UK, and on this forum, and other UK forums, is absolutely nothing, its the tip of the iceberg compared to whats done, and has been done for years in the USA and even into Europe and Scandinavia.

So to answer, up to and exceeding 1000ho is 'realistic'

All it takes is ££££££££££££££££££

And large testicles
    StaceyS3 likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    My car has 92k. It needed new stem seal guides as they were very badly worn. Lots of blue smoke. Decided to do rods while the head refurb was being done. The guy doing the work insisted in new rings regardless of condition but on inspection said they were very worn. My bores were glazed also. If your going to do this do itonce while its apart and save the time and hassle of doing it again.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    you'd need everything to be as good as it can be with a gt30 71 minimum to make 400 AWHP, and tbh that would probably be in the realm of max this unit can produce. You'd need a ported head, cams, valve gear, probably an increase of capacity, huge downpipes and intake with WMI just to support the turbo in making the power. It should take you about 3 yrs to save it up at your current rate

1st Gear

Status
    Thank you very much everyone I want it to be a subtle monster tufty thanks for the info I am hopefully getting a low mileage s3 as I'm getting some funds from inheritance, so I am ideally looking for 70k or less, I will pm you when I have the car and when I will want big stuff doing?