HID disappointed with results

Ian2012

Reaction score
Subject says it all really fitted a 4300k 35w slim kit and yes the lights are brighter but i have got a lot of purple in the light rather than white which is what i wanted by buying the 4300k kit. The lights also seem to be set very low as well which doesn't help either i have checked the level switch and that's on zero.

hmmm

if you have the facelift lights then i think from the factory they where halogen projectors, work slightly differant to a HID/xenon projector.

i am working on a kit for the 8l for the guys that have a HID kit that want to upgrade to a HID projector but keeping the light looking stock.

i will try and get this sorted as a group buy towards the end of Jan.

i am working on a set of prototype ones for a member right now.
Thanks
trups

So what is the difference between projector halogen and projector xenon, and as another observation they have very pronounced rainbow effect at the edges

its all down to the cutoff, it dont matter how the or what colour it looks, that will just be the glass front the projector, have you put the car up against a white wall and checked the brightness and colour?

do they shine brighter on the road?
have you tried adjusting them higher manually?

halogen projectors are made for halogens so the cutoff, light spread are differant to hid projectors, dont get me wrong, they are still a good upgrade but if you want to get the best out of your HID setup then using a HID projector would be better.

i will get pictures up once i have completed the lights.

trups

I got a kit from t8ups last year, 8000k 55w and they have a tiny amount of blue in them but it isn't too noticeable so I'm happy with them, nice and bright as well and have a really pronounced beam pattern

Reactions: Sixty 9 GP
i haven't had the time yet to put them up against the wall, i do know what you mean about cut off, factory xenons seem to be flat whereas halogen has a pronounced kick up to the left. i would very interested in the xenon projector upgrade.

i am trying to make it so its a easy install which is why i am having a CNC company design a braket up for this so you can fine tune the cutoff.

Trups

Well i have just had another look at the colour on a white garage door, and the centre of the beam has a distinct yellow tinge that goes to white and then to blueish / purple the further out you go towards the cut off. Maybe the bulbs are duff but it's not wanted from a 4300k setup. Is there anything else i can do?

Subject says it all really fitted a 4300k 35w slim kit and yes the lights are brighter but i have got a lot of purple in the light rather than white which is what i wanted by buying the 4300k kit. The lights also seem to be set very low as well which doesn't help either i have checked the level switch and that's on zero.

hmmm

What kit did you fit?

i think its the globe thats causing the colouring in the beam, i would say bare with it a month and if you wanted to go down the HID projector route then jump in on the group buy as it will be worth it.

Trups

Ok will do i will get the other bits from you as well when the projector is available be easier to fit it all in

have a look here - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...s/199447-replica-xenon-headlight-quality.html

getting the parts and splitting the headlights are the easy part, its the fine tuning of the lights that would need attention which is why i am having the brackets made up so its easy peasy for those of you that want to do it.

Also they are Bi Xenon projectors so when you do your full beam they beam angle changes so you would have double the light output at night on a darker road.

Trups

Well that makes really interesting reading and the pics of the bmw before and after are just staggering, the first pic is about where i am now the light is very scattered on my car as well as the other issues. Any ideas on time scales?

Ian

Hi Ian.

As soon as brackets are ready which I will chase once the holidays are over I can get info together in the 8l forum and get it going, could try for the end of Jan I hope.

Thanks
Trups

Last edited:
Hi Trups,

What I have tried to get my head around, and was hoping you could help with is:

I want to keep my OEM ballasts, which means I'd need the morimoto mini D2S, is this still possible? Is there enough space? Is there a suitable shroud?

The other thing I can't get my head around is that the main problem with s3 8l xenons is that they point too low, changing the projector to admittedly a better one won't necessarily mean better lighting where it's needed....what I mean is it will project better with better cutoffs, but will still be too low?

Can you shed some light on this Trups ;)

Hi Trups,

keep me in the loop when they get made please.

Oh and after a little messing around last night i have now raised the beam by 1 turn of the adjuster, what i did was find a suitable wall and mark where they are when set to zero on the adjuster inside the car, then lowered them down to 1 on the adjuster and then readjusted them back up to where they were when to zero. So in other words when the dial in the car is on zero it's effectively plus 1

Hi.

Good question on this, i can Shed light on anything :p lol

i can supply D2S projectors, they would use the same holder i am having made up aslong as the S3 xenons are the same as the facelift halogen projector headlights?

For Shrouds you wont need any as the shroud in the 8l projectors is the casing, the proctor sits on brackets on the rear so you would just need the projector if you want to keep it looking stock from factory.

have you tried to adjust your main beams manually?

once the projector is fitted as long as you have manual adjusters and they are working you can start setting the beam up, making them higher so they shine further, as long as the light when you drive past someone and the light is not in their face you wont blind or dazzle them which is the most important thing.

have a look at this cutoff i got from a retrofit i did 2 weeks back.

These where tuned to shine further on dipped beam, went for a few drives and perfect, not dazzzling any on coming drivers.

i got the mrs a cooper S back in march and thats fitted with xenons from the factory, the cut off on this after market projector is ALOT sharper than hers and they where a £450 option! so for less than half the price you have a better setup than OEM if done correctly.

Trups

trups.... when are you making HID's for 8P!??? lol

im Not due to the issues as you know.

see NHN, he can do them.

did that other company not come through with the valeo ballast? im happy to supply the projectors for you to fit into the 8P but you would need to supply your own HID kit..

Trups

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388384770998965ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388384770998965ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388384813336040

I got a kit from t8ups last year, 8000k 55w and they have a tiny amount of blue in them but it isn't too noticeable so I'm happy with them, nice and bright as well and have a really pronounced beam pattern
+1
I had the 35W 5000k kit and still found it to be very dim, Since I went the 55w 8000k Kit, I can actually see where i am going at night!
and it does have a blueish white tinge to it..

Looks good, i like the backround im from us where is that backround from??

That's not the standard front bumper is it?

@sssline, you are half correct, it's the bottom Spoiler that is different, I bough it off a local Audi club member a few years ago.
It was known as the Sportech lip. But I imagine it would be like hens teeth to find these days. Here is a link for a company that sells it in South Africa Audi A3 Front Spoiler - up to 2002 models - Audi - Vehicle Categories , The lip I have however specifically accommodated for the Fog lights.

Reactions: Sixty 9 GP
Thank you! for the compliment, The background is my home in South Africa :)

Really nice, and ur car looks sharp too, nice and clean, nice to text someone so far from here, good luck with car keep taking care of it.