Coolant temp sensor help please.

daz-20vt

Reaction score
Hi guys. Merry christmas to start hope everyone is well. Just wondering. I have a faulty coolant temp sensor. Is this an easy diy or shall i book the car in. will i lose coolant doing it. Any info would be great. Thanks. Daz

You'll only lose a bottle cap full of coolant. It's probably the easiest job on the car. You pull out the plastic clip on the sensor, it comes out. That's it. Stick the new one in and replace the clip.

Lovely guys thanks. Ill get right on it!!!

PS get an OE sensor, bit costly I know but I have had 3 eBay ones fail within 9 months.

Cheers

PS2 undo the filler cap 1st, and or when the engine is cold !

may sound abit dumb but does anyone have pic of location of sensor and thermostat please I think my need changing thanks peeps

Here's a little guide but it's easy enough to find if you know the general area! VWVortex.com - DIY: Replacing your temperature sender with the updated one (green-top)

Thermostat is hard to get a nice pic of but if you get that little cover off by the dipstick then the metal bracket and pull the dipstick out. It's to the left behind the alternator it's a hard black pipe with two little bolts and a radiator pipe running off the housing. I couldn't really see from the pics but have a little poke about and it becomes clear!