S3 APY Hunting at idle/cutting out

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
Since changing the plugs on Friday and also putting a different cone filter on to replace the tiny one it had on previously, I've now noticed this issue.

Car sounds great and pulls brilliantly, but coming to a junction with clutch dipped and going into neutral, it hunts and/or cuts out. It also cuts out when I start it sometimes.

I unplugged the maf and started back up, and it was exactly the same. I'm not hearing any misfires so don't think it's the plugs.

Any ideas? Wondering if my moving things around in the bay has split a brittle hose or something.

It's pretty confusing.....

Check under the inlet manifold for leaks had this before and had a hose come of the inet the larger of the 3 hoses it was

Will double check.

I also meant to mention that the temp gauge is intermittent. The coolant temp sensor has been replaced and this made no difference. Not sure if that would also have a bearing on this issue?

Had similar issues, I was adamant it was a split hose but couldn't find it at all! So took it for a scan, sure enough it was an air leak. £25 part, hope yours is an easy fix too mate! Get a scan done if you can find the problem!

My temp gauge was intermittent I had changed CTS but it would sit at 60 then on random days appear to work. Heater still worked as normal too new thermostat sorted it out has sat bang on 90 when warm since I changed the coolant while I was at it for the cost of it. The bottom bolt was a pain to get so if you do change it give your self plenty of light! Strangely a few days before I changed it an engine light had appeared because of it which has now gone.

A genuine stat and coolant temp sensor are recommended on here mate. Ones from other places seem to be a bit hit and miss.

My car is also cutting out on startup at the minute , needs a bit of throttle to get it going and once the revs level out it is fine. Bit of research on here points to the CTS which as luck has it I have a spare. Will be swappoing it over after christmas.

So even though I've changed the CTS, you think it's worth buying one from Audi and doing it again?

With my BMW, you can buy the actual OEM stat at ECP. They just have the BMW logo filed off! :)

Thermostat was going crazy today. It ran right upto 90, but on the return journey it then dropped right down to 60. I hooked up my ELM 327 and ran Torque with it. No fault codes! I also looked at the real time temp on there and it was corresponding to the gauge, so I reckon it's in need of a thermostat for sure.

The rough idle also seems to be an intermittent fault, which is bizarre with no codes.

ALSO Torque said that 02 Sensor 2 was showing 0v. Anybody know which part I need to replace this one? I believe it's the post cat sensor?