Looking at S3's

AnthonyB

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently looking at buying an S3 - a nearly new one.

I realise this is probably a dumb *** question to ask on this forum, but for the same sort of money I could get a brand new Golf 32 (excuse me)...

What are peoples thoughts / experiences on the S3 and also any comparisons with the Golf... EVO Magazine seem to really rate the golf - but it's still a golf right?

Cheers all,

Anthony..

Speaking as an S3 driver, the S3 is more stylish that a golf, more exclusive and higher build quality. It also has better fuel economy as standard, and can be modified economically to make it higher performance.

I'd personally take a Mk1 S3 over a Mk4 R32.

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks - my gut is saying the same... Although why a Mk1 - I presume you'd have the mk2 over the mk1?

Anthony..

[ QUOTE ]
AnthonyB said:
Thanks - my gut is saying the same... Although why a Mk1 - I presume you'd have the mk2 over the mk1?

Anthony..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the old shape not the new shape... But i share the same opinion.. the R32 is a very nice car... but it got a big engine which will be average economy at absolute best... terrible for most of the time... its nearly twice the size of the S3 nad its NA so lacking tunability.

Rich

Why a Mk1? Because there isn't a Mk2 S3 yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

Sorry to say this but if the R32 had been available when I bought my S3 then I`d have got the Golf.

Although it`s strong, the 1.8T is a coarse engine at the side of the V6 R32 unit. It also appears to be slightly better value than the Audi (IMHO).

To be honest though, I`d save thousands and get a Seat Leon Cupra R.

Don`t get me wrong, I like my S3 but it `aint perfect! And I wont be buying another.

"To be honest though, I`d save thousands and get a Seat Leon Cupra R.

Don`t get me wrong, I like my S3 but in `aint perfect! And I wont be buying another. "

Here here !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Wolfsburger said:
Sorry to say this but if the R32 had been available when I bought my S3 then I`d have got the Golf.

Although it`s strong, the 1.8T is a coarse engine at the side of the V6 R32 unit. It also appears to be slightly better value than the Audi (IMHO).

To be honest though, I`d save thousands and get a Seat Leon Cupra R.

Don`t get me wrong, I like my S3 but in `aint perfect! And I wont be buying another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound like an S3 fan-boy, because I'm not (not yet anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) but reviews of the R32 say that once you add the options to the R32 that are standard on the S3 (most notably leather) the price is pretty much the same. So I guess if you don't want those features then the R32 would be cheaper.

As to the Cupra, it's a great car (a mate of mine has one) and in dynamic terms it can certainly challenge the S3 in the dry. But it's not as well built as the Audi. Neither is the Golf. If you want that extra level of quality it has to be the Audi. If you're happy with the fit and finish of the Cupra then that's cool.

I'm not saying that the S3 is good value for money. It isn't. It's a premium product at a premium price. If you want the best you have to pay for it.

I used to drive an Impreza, and that would knock pretty much any VAG car into a cocked hat dynamically. But it was very low rent. I wouldn't have another one because I want to have luxury as well as performance. Now only an Audi will do, which is a shame because I'd rather have a wider choice of cars to choose from. I need the other manufacturers to raise their game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

Don't want to sound trivial, but you've got to love those blue dash lights on the VW's. Although I guess this shouldn't be the main criteria when choosing between the two.
On a serious note, is no one ****** off about the dire engine line up on the new A3? No turbos, means no worthwhile chipping. Even the S3 will be NA. Does anyone know why VAG have suddenly dropped the T on all new models?
They are gonna suffer when 1.8T's & S3 company cars are up for renewal, the emmisions on the V6 are crippling.

Audi say that their will be no plans for a new S3!
Audi will use N/A engines on all S model`s as Quattro GmbH will will utlize turbos in the performance RS model`s.

Quattro GmbH is not a very old company... and since it arrived the Audi S car`s were the top of the range.... but now the goal posts have been moved slightly.

Quattro GmbH is now the top of the range eventhough is a different company with different goals etc.

I still think the S3 is expensive in so much as it`s only a four cylinder, three door hatchback. This car costs around 25 grand basic!(Seat Leon Cupra R is 17 grand basic, 2WD accepted) I know it`s perceived as a quality car (coil-packs anybody?) but it`s partly a good marketing excercise of behalf of Audi.

I`ve owned two Mk4 Golfs and they were equally as well built as my S3 is (and cost 10,000 less remember).

I`ll probably try to find an R32 at some point, I`m carefully watching used S3 values, once they start to soften, I`ll be off.

I agree with most of the stuff dbm has said.

Firstly, there have been revisions to the A3/S3, but not an actual MK change, IMO. So whats the official designation? Audi's normally follow "series" rather than "marks", so the new A3 will be A3 series 2. But what about the old model changes?

Although I've not done a direct driving comparison of the R32 v S3, by all accounts the R32 is the better handling car. Less turns lock-to-lock, stiffer suspension (H&R I think), thicker anti-roll bars, bigger wheels. Its got to handle better hasn't it? But on the road I don't think you'd notice much difference between the two on a twisty road. And because the S3 has softer suspension its better to live with day-to-day on our totally ***** British roads.

AL

AnthonyB, depends where your values are. I had a Lexus, and wanted something fast and Q but with build quality second to none. I drove a Leon Cupra , V6 4 Motion and the S3. The Cupra looked excellent value, the V6 4 Motion seemed claustrophobic (due to the front seats) and the S3 got pretty much everything spot on.