electric windows S3 pre-facelift

ollyste

Reaction score
Can someone, if anyone tell me how i can manage to get my NS window back up.Its currently in the fully down position and starts to come ( about half inch if that ) and then nothing!. As its getting dark and i dont have a garage im getting a bit worried as to what to do. Not had the car long and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

take the doorcard off, and have a look whats stopping it would be my first recommendation.

I had this problem last year. I lowered the window down to swipe in at the barrier at work and it wouldn't go back up. Had to drive with the window down for the 12 miles back home when it was freezing cold and raining!

Anyway, i took the door card off when i got home to try to make a tempory repair but failed. Ended up taking it to a local garage (who fortunatly is an Audi/VW specilist). They needed to order some parts but managed to jam it up temporarily.

Sorry, i know this doesn't really help, but hope you get it sorted.

As far as i can remember, to remove the door card - remove the compartment along the bottom of the door (can remember exatly where the fixings are but i know it came off easily). I think there are some screws along the edge of the door card on the edge nearest the rear of the car. Undo these. Think there are also a couple of screws underneath the handle. Undo these as well and the door card should lift up and off.

Appologies if this in not accurate but i know when i removed it it was quite straight forwards.

Happy days i managed to get at the window mechanisnm once i got the doorcard out the way and after a few attempts it went all the way up. Not yet fastened the doorcard on properly but will go out tomorrow morning armed with WD40 and see if that helps.Now i knows i will sleep better tonight

Ok had a look at the mechanism yesterday morning and unfortunately the wd40 wouldnt solve the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.When forced up from the bottom of the glass whilst operating the switch it would go so far then automaticlly go back down.I assume this is some kind of safety feature perhaps but its at this point it seems to stick. I guess now its electrical cos there seems to be not enough power to get it past this point. Does this sound like a trip to an auto-electrician? Any ideas on how much something like this would rob me of?.Cheers

When you say that you helped push the window up, did it feel as though the motor was struggling or feel as though there was a restriction on the winder mechanism?

You shouldnt be using wd40 anyway, just use good quality grease.
Where in cheshire are you ?

This has happened to my friend's S3.

Its weird. If you unbolt the window motor, you can grab the window and move it up and down very easily.

The motor also runs fine off the car.

I think what's happening on his car is the glass is getting twisted slightly against a runner which is enough to trip the load sensing relay.

I've left his window motor unplugged for now so it won't happen again. When it gets a bit warmer we are going to strip the whole door to take a look at whats wrong.

I might remove the load sensing relay as he doesn't have kids etc, we'll have to see when I get more involved.

try unbolting the motor and see how free that runs when activated and also try the window with out the motor.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head cos i did notice that in the corner towards the rear, it seemed to struggle more as if twisted slightly aswell.Also how do you disconnect the motor as its still connected and i have just put a bit of tape over the switch for now

Done pretty much all i can for now. i managed to disconnect the motor but having dismantling the drivers doorcard noticed the motor was actually turning exactly the same speed(both ways) so its not that for sure. But there is still resistance when i try and move the glass manually but cant quite locate were this is happening