Can I resync my remote locking if I only have one key??

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
We only got one key with the S3. I have just replaced the housing and transferred the transponder and all the other bits over. Unfortunately, because the key presumably hasn't ever had its batteries replaced, it hasn't worked since we got it.

I've seen a procedure for resyncing keys when you have a second key, but nothing for just one. Am I screwed?

i've heard people say that they've just put the key in the ignition, turned the ignition on then press & hold a button on the remote for a few seconds. I know this works with other models such as 8P A3, 8E A4 but i've never seen it work with an older model. When people have just had 1 key i've just done it for them with VCDS.

As you're in Leeds you're not that far from me so i can help you out. Can either come to me or if you cover my fuel etc i can come to you

i've heard people say that they've just put the key in the ignition, turned the ignition on then press & hold a button on the remote for a few seconds. I know this works with other models such as 8P A3, 8E A4 but i've never seen it work with an older model. When people have just had 1 key i've just done it for them with VCDS.

As you're in Leeds you're not that far from me so i can help you out. Can either come to me or if you cover my fuel etc i can come to you

Cheers that's awesome. Where are you based?

Im pretty sure you put the key into the door keyhole and press the lock/unlock button and if i remember correctly, that should do it for you.

I did try that. It's possible of course, that the key is just knackered, but hopefully not.

The original casing was screwed. I've transferred the lot into a new housing.