Like Tree89Likes

Thread: g60leigh build thread. it's gonna get messy

5th Gear

Status
    No problem mate.
    They haven't arrived yet bit may turn up in today's post

Thanks.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Only a really minor update.

Clutch is all fixed and working nicely.

Haldex blue now installed. Really enjoying this.

And just got in from installing the VW relay to the hazard switch so now have one touch 3 blink indicators. Nice little mod!

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

5th Gear

Status
    No real updates yet.
    Been enjoying the car for a short while before it gets pulled apart.

Planning on getting it in for engine work in the beginning to middle of March.

I did pick up some bits to experiment with whilst getting it mapped:

2001 S3 (AMK)

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Whats the story behind the filter then? Looks very different. Wheres it from?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Ramair had a sale on and thought it would be worth a try. I like the look of it so am hoping it performs as well or better than the J&R one I'm currently running.
    First impressions are good. Quality is top notch and fit is perfect.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    You got a link for the one you bought? Weird how they give you a replacement MAF housing.

5th Gear

Status
    Sorry Dani_B19. Think at slight crossed communications. The MAF didn't come with the filter. It's something separate I've picked up to play with / compare.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    Haha yeah, sorry. So what came with the filter? The reason I ask is because I want a velocity style setup, I have a s2000 filter but I wa t a reusable alternative.

5th Gear

Status
    Just the filter on its own. Think it was about £20 delivered. Don't know how well it will perform compared to the concertina type.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    The latest run of bad luck had been clouds if blue smoke billowing from the exhaust and a ripped apart exhaust.

Firstly the smoke. To cut a mini saga down. I think it has just been a gulp back from the oil catch can (that I had let get a little too full) I have emptied it and cleaned breather pipes and after a short run all of the dreaded smoke has cleared. There was no loss of power oil or water so seems the likely cause.

The exhaust was just a bit of poxy luck. I have been loaned another car while mine is getting the engine build done. Whilst swapping them and reversing mine into the yard my exhaust clamp made contact with the gate securing point and separated. Also ripping securing point up.
    Gate has been re secured and car left sounding like a tractor on steroids. (Well it adds to the security of it) and I will have to go back in the next week to sort my exhaust.

That was all last month so hoping that it's all of the crappy luck out of the way and March will be the month of the build.

I did say it was gonna get messy.
    <tuffty/> likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

g60leigh build thread. it's gonna get messy

The build has begun.

Top end all removed and stripped

Downpipe is off and will be sent off to be flowed then re-wrapped

Will also get manifold flowed and welds reinforced too.

On a worrying note there is a lot of metal filings on the sump plug.

Hoping its nothing to major and something we are changing in the build anyway.

The bbs wheels are now finished and waiting for the car.

Also added some red bbs decals to the rim and gen bbs dust caps since pic.

Found a bargain auto dim mirror too so another job for the never ending list.
    Adam P likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    You may of seen my other post.
    It has definitely got messy.
    The pistons have been rubbing on the cylinders.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793128.675833.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793146.174267.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793159.357519.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793169.225814.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793176.276280.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793185.342635.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793195.894780.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395793208.713092.jpg

Currently in the turmoil stage.
    Block needs taking out, taken to machine shop and new oversized forged pistons need acquiring.

As usual the ASN guys have stepped up and helped me loads with info. 👍
    <tuffty/>, Westy and StaceyS3 like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Got a delivery today 😃🎉
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396436493.499356.jpg

2001 S3 (AMK)

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Rods or pistons.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    s3dave and ScottD3 like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    83mm?

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah mate. Will be mated with IE riffle drilled rods.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

The block is out, ready to be taken to get rebored next week.

Also got a new complication. The new LUK dual mass fitted before Christmas is in a bad way

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/g60...dwzsx.mp4.html

Got to go see euro car parts on Monday and see how well they handle warranty claims 😒

Suddenly I have turned religious and I am praying for no more set backs. 🙏

On a lighter slightly off track note. I found these the other day and want to share them.
    My old Wolfsburg edition LHD Golf G60

Hoping my next post will be one full of progress.
    Last edited by g60leigh; 5th April 2014 at 22:30.

2001 S3 (AMK)

poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

Status
    at the end of the day poor Leigh has trusted garages to do work on his car and TBH they have ripped him off and had his eyes out. so far the car has been held together with luck nothing was tight and the things that were tight were far too tight. all inlet/exhaust mani bolts were loose, gear box bolts were loose plus others... a garage has filled the power steering fluid up with red stuff we all know its supposed to be green mineral fluid.

All ways give a quick check on your car to see if work is finished properly on your car even if its just seeing if the bolts/nuts are tight. some people are just out to make money off people with out doing a proper job resulting in people like Leigh spending more than he had to.

but this time round it will be put back together correctly all nice and tight, hopefully a lot cleaner than when we started. (lots of leaks)

me and my mate will have it back together in no time once the block is back from the machine shop. hopefully no more things will creep up resulting in me ringing Leigh again to say this his cars a scrapper

and the lack of photos in leigh's build is because im not the best with a camera and always forget to take photos lol
    g60leigh, Dani_B19, Westy and 3 others like this.
    k03s/k04 hybrid a3 275bhp 293lbft
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

fellow north east members add your name to this list.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/north-e...%2A%2A%2A.html

5th Gear

Status
    Engine block, pistons and rods have all been dropped off at machine shop.

New choice time- what colour should they paint the block?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    Black.
    Sam_ likes this.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Just saw a load of bits in the classified thread and thought you must have been breaking the car!

I assume it will be stripped out as the door cards etc. are up for sale?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Just saw a load of bits in the classified thread and thought you must have been breaking the car!

I assume it will be stripped out as the door cards etc. are up for sale?

No not breaking mate. Just trying to free up some cash selling off my old and spare parts.

Not stripping it out either. I just happen to have a spare set of rear door cards lol.
    Getting in my way so gotta go.
    Westy likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

Few quick pics of bits waiting to go back on.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397065950.822637.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397065970.370116.jpg

Freshly wrapped down pipe
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397066008.573060.jpg

This is a integrated engineering turbo support bracket I got when I got my rods.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397066069.561585.jpg

Any ideas how / where this fits??? Lol.
    From IE web page:

OVERVIEW

A support bracket for the turbocharger is built because the manifold is placed a good distance from the engine. During heavy use the turbo will be very hot and yield stress on the steel which can begin to sag under the weight of the turbo. Using a bracket is a desirable solution to greatly reduce the bending loads on the manifold and thus the stresses which can prevent cracks developing in the manifold during normal use. Precision laser cut from stainless steel and attaches to the compressor housing. For use with Garrett T3, GT and KKK turbos.
    Last edited by g60leigh; 9th April 2014 at 19:08.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post

This is a integrated engineering turbo support bracket I got when I got my rods.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397066069.561585.jpg

Any ideas how / where this fits??? Lol.
    From IE web page:

OVERVIEW

A support bracket for the turbocharger is built because the manifold is placed a good distance from the engine. During heavy use the turbo will be very hot and yield stress on the steel which can begin to sag under the weight of the turbo. Using a bracket is a desirable solution to greatly reduce the bending loads on the manifold and thus the stresses which can prevent cracks developing in the manifold during normal use. Precision laser cut from stainless steel and attaches to the compressor housing. For use with Garrett T3, GT and KKK turbos.
    What you have there is an expensive ornament

Its a universal one designed to bolt to the compressor cover (using its bolts) and is more for larger framed turbos such as GT30's etc... next to useless on a K04 and in all honesty next to useless on anything... support brackets in this context sound like a good idea but for most applications do more harm than good as the turbos this is designed for sit on tubular manifolds that move... alot!... when hot and adds stress to the components... worse case it could enhance failure of parts such as the manifold or turbo fixings..

The only support bracket needed in this context is the OE K04 one that comes off the block and bolts through the bottom of the turbo hotside...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Think I will not bother fitting it then. Haha.

No drama. Was only £4.70 in there Black Friday sale so took a punt.
    Westy likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

Few more parts for the fit later pile

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397118942.720772.jpgAPS fuel pump (same as Bosch 044 & exact same one prawn has just installed)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397119008.540390.jpg
    The elusive early middle exhaust hanger.
    Idea shamelessly stolen from Tuffty's thread.
    May even give this a clean and paint too 👍

With just a little luck the flywheel will arrive today and the block with 83mm rebore / pistons, IE rods and ACL bearings will be ready for me to collect tomorrow and get back to Coatesy.
    Westy and s3dave like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    And time for another delay.
    Got a call from Erimus (the machine shop) at 9 this morning say he had been ill this week and just come back in. Therefore my block won't be ready until Monday.
    Gutted !!

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Did get these boring bits. But as they were cheap seemed rude not to.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397242458.053147.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397242497.254039.jpg

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

And time for another delay.
    Got a call from Erimus (the machine shop) at 9 this morning say he had been ill this week and just come back in. Therefore my block won't be ready until Monday.
    Gutted !!
    Now it's going to be Tuesday next week. Seems the machinist has had to have eye surgery and will be off all this week. I hope they give me some discount for the delay 😖

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397680892.160074.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397680938.194889.jpg

Few more parts here to add to the fit later pile.
    Improved crankcase breather set up, replace the cracked original.

The PU rubber to reinforce the engine mounts.

Also received the Badger5 fuel pump fittings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g60leigh; 17th April 2014 at 07:28.
    Westy likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    At last a chance to right a progress post.

Had a massive run if issues with the machine shop. (Avoid Erimus Engines in Thornaby at all costs!) which culminated in a bit of a scuffle and police called as I wouldn't pay they full invoice due to their mess ups and them trying to break into my car to get block out and then blocking me in.

Now all the parts are back in the capable hands of Roy and Coatesy things are starting to come together.

Pics as proof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398938417.793200.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398938428.803310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398938451.310678.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398938468.357824.jpg

Latest report was that the sump is also now all on and buttoned up.

Happy Days!
    jitvv, Westy, s3dave and 1 others like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

6th Gear

Status
    sweet! keep em coming
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

2nd Gear

Status
    Good progress mate! Im working on mine this evening, just got to swap the gearbox, dmf, clutch etc over from old engine.
    Your story with the engineering company sounds like something off 'Lizard Lick Towing'
    Glad its in safe hands now though.
    2001 Audi S3 8L Ming Blue - Rebuild Complete

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam P View Post
    Good progress mate! Im working on mine this evening, just got to swap the gearbox, dmf, clutch etc over from old engine.
    Your story with the engineering company sounds like something off 'Lizard Lick Towing'
    Glad its in safe hands now though.
    Good look with it Adam.
    Tell more on this 'Lizard Lick Towing' never heard of it.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Also have another part for the 'to do later' pile.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398956296.750523.jpg

Mine all work but have a line of dead pixels every now and then which bugs the hell out of me.
    The plan is to fit these. If pixels are all ok as they are from a low miler they will stay and I will sell on my old ones. If not they will be temporary ones while mine get sent off to be fixed.

Does anyone know if I'm right in thinking it will show my correct mileage as that's stored within the ecu?

2001 S3 (AMK)

2nd Gear

Status
    Good look with it Adam.
    Tell more on this 'Lizard Lick Towing' never heard of it.
    We are nearly there made good progress last night. Lizard Lick towing is a program on 'Dave' which is rather entertaining and your story about your scuffle at the engine place reminded me of it. Here is a trailer.

Official Trailer for Lizard Lick Towing&#39;s New Season on June 11 on TruTV - YouTube

Lizard Licks Ep3 Trailer - YouTube
    2001 Audi S3 8L Ming Blue - Rebuild Complete

Status
    might be jinxing this but iv took a day off work tomorrow to get this done, dare i say i could get started tomorrow....

watch this space!
    superkarl likes this.
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

5th Gear

Status
    Well on that note I dare not comment any further 😬
    superkarl likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Status
    well its not done some tea leaf had twocked a couple of bolts from under the car but we found out which ones they were and got cracking, block is in everything bolted to it, just need the head on and turbo on then its all systems go!
    g60leigh likes this.
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

5th Gear

Status
    Have you managed to source replacements for the aforementioned bolts mate?

2001 S3 (AMK)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast