Exhaust manifold blowing

willh92

Reaction score
I can see smoke coming from the back of the engine, it seems to be coming out from one of the bolts holding the exhaust manifold on to the head. It's hot and does smell like exhaust fumes so i'm fairly sure it is the manifold leaking past the gasket / cracked. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what costs are likely to be incurred?Also, could this cause a rough idle and / or cutting out upon start up when the engine is already hot? Cheers Will

Fairly common, usually a bolt works loose then blows the gasket, can cause all you have mentioned..If unlucky a cracked mani, is it standard?
Right, so what would you suggest I do, take it to Audi and pay an arm and a leg but have peace of mind (have a good relationship with my audi garage). Or source a second hand mani with replacement gaskets / bolts and try do it myself?Yes it is standard, covered 79,000 miles.

You need to know what the problem is first, loose bolt or cracked mani.. take the charge pipe off and have a look..
might be a stupid question but what's the charge pipe, the big silver pipe from turbo to inlet mani?