Oil Leaked

langtonr

Reaction score
Driving home from work this evening, glanced in the mirror and thought there seemed to be a bit of smoke coming out the back of the car, took a second look and everything seemed normal, so thinking i'd maybe just driven past a bonfire or something, carried on with the car running normally right up to the point that the oil light started flashing. Pulled over straight away to find lower part of the engine covered in oil and fair amount of it dripping from the underside of the car. Was getting dark by this point so couldn't really tell where the oil was coming from and all I could do was get the RAC to tow me to the local stealers, where the car is now sitting dripping its remaining oil onto their forecourt.

Anybody got any idea's what this could be? Had the cam chain and tensioner changed before christmas and I'm wondering if it might have something to do with that. (or rather hoping that it might have something to do with that as I could really do without another audi-sized bill heading in my direction)

Turns out the dealer hadn't bothered to tighten the bolts that hold the timing chain tensioner in place when they replaced it before Christmas. Another top quality bit of service!!

and more importantly are they paying the costs of ALL damage caused?

To be fair to them, once we'd pointed out to them that the bolts were loose (my Dad spotted that at least 2 of them weren't even finger tight) they pulled their finger out and got it sorted the same day.

They've assured me that theres no damage to the engine, but got them to put in writing that the cause of the oil leak was their fault, just in case theres any problems in the future.

No real apology, but the fact that they agreed to do the next service for half price makes up for that in my mind (money speaks louder than words!)

typical though in that a simple 'sorry' goes a long way yet they can't bring themselves to actually say it.............