Power/engine query

TomS38L

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi gents,I have a APL engined S3,210 bhp,slowly gathering parts to get more power although a friend has said I'm barking up the wrong tree with this model as to get the power I have the wrong motor unless I'm willing to spend big money,can anyone shed any light on this for me and point me in the direction of which one is best for gains,I'm presuming it's the bam but any guidance appreciated,I have a cx racing front mount ready to fit,I've decatted it already and have a miltek on order but if I'm wasting my time I'll keep the parts and get a better base model,cheers gents.

LOL... sorry but your mate clearly knows very little about 1.8t's...

the APY motor is as good as any... Welly (an ASN member) ran his at over 400hp...

I think you would be best to elaborate on your power goals and what sort of kit you are accumulating... there are plenty of build threads for S3's on here at varying levels of power and modification..

What power you are after and how deep your pockets are will determine where you go tbh...

<tuffty/>

Great news! Was a bit gutted there as it's a great little honest car and got it for a bargain,I'm would like 300-350bhp if I can, I know I'm going to need bigger turbo/injectors etc but as I say I'm gathering parts at the moment...what would you recommend I get??

This is worth a read...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...5-off-bills-few-tweaks-so-weve-been-busy.html

Basically you will need...
decent FMIC (check FAQs sticky... big FMIC thread on there)
Hybrid K04 (Beach Buggy Turbos)
Injectors (Bosch 550's are the current ones of choice)
3" DP (Relentless or Pipewerx generally)
Exhaust manifold
Badger5 TIP
Rods (rifle drilled)
Custom map from Bill (Badger5) or Niki (R-Tech)

There are a few other notable threads of course... a search will help you...

<tuffty/>

For 300-350ish bhp you would need
BBT hybrid
550cc injectors
Remap
Rifle drilled rods(plus obvious parts to fit these ie bearings head gasket)
Uprated manifold (either relentless or wait for bill after Christmas)
3" downpipe and either sports cat or decat
Cat back system
B5 3" tip
Intercooler(welly cooler)
Jetex filter or summin not oe
Probably more but that gets you started
You need deep pockets for these cars to make them stay reliable and quick

Thanks chaps I appreciate it's going to cost,and I'm not going straight at it with a pocket full of cash will be over time as is the situ with everyone bitten by the mod bug,just needing direction as 1.8ts are relatively unfamiliar to me as always had beemers but love the little audi :)

Hi gents,I have a APL engined S3,210 bhp,slowly gathering parts to get more power although a friend has said I'm barking up the wrong tree with this model as to get the power I have the wrong motor unless I'm willing to spend big money,can anyone shed any light on this for me and point me in the direction of which one is best for gains,I'm presuming it's the bam but any guidance appreciated,I have a cx racing front mount ready to fit,I've decatted it already and have a miltek on order but if I'm wasting my time I'll keep the parts and get a better base model,cheers gents.

your friend thinks this why?

...got it for a bargain...

makes me think........ whats worn out on it and needs replacing to make it a sound tuning platform first

...what would you recommend I get??
confirm its healthy first... power, compression, leak down, health check... etc

Then you know what you are basing your desires off..

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Was slight front end damage,literally small dent in wing and cracked bumper,have replacement parts just not fitting till fmic is installed,also as for health check I've serviced it and changed cambelt,water pump,tensionor and thermostat,zero codes on vagcom.

Need to do a compression test and leak down test too... when you do the rods check the bores...

<tuffty/>

Leak down test.....what's that then??

Its a test to see how well the cylinders retain pressure... there maybe enough of a seal to provide a decent compression test result but compression is a peak hold kind of test and not a true indication on how well a cylinder on compression stroke can retain the pressure... leak down tests that

<tuffty/>