Disaster always strikes when you need it least... Might be forced to brake :-(

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
As the title suggests I've had a bit of an issue with my car which basically means I need a new block :ermm:

From what I can tell it looks like who ever did the cam belt didn't do the 3 bolts going through the engine mount into the block up tight enough... I think what has happened is the bolt at the front of the block has worked loose and put additional strain on the rest and the lug on the block that the rear bolt goes into (circled below) has sheered off the block:

I know I could just stick a new engine in but by the time I've spend 4/500 quid on a new motor, done the cam belt, got her back on the road and had it mapped again I'll be x-hundred quid down and left with a car that MIGHT be worth £2500... And god knows what other complications might be down that path!

The problem is I've just taken a bit of a pay cut in a new job (hopefully it'll pay off eventually!) and I really can't afford to be ploughing any money into the car at the mo. Been totting it up and by the looks of thing, as much as it pains me to say it, I'm gonna be far better off breaking the car :blownose:

Also, my boss (taking pitty on me) has just done me an awesome deal on a nice little mk4 GTI which will do me fine as a little run about. And I know what your thinking! Yes, most the part will swap straight across but I really need to recoup some money here and clear some debts.

It's a real tough decision but I think braking would be the only sensible things to do here, and I'd rather just come back to modifying cars when I'm in a better financial position to do so and next time do things properly... We all know how expensive these "little" projects get!

Gutted is an understatement but I think I've made my decision really, just thought I'd get your thoughts and opinions on it all?

Bad times bud, sorry to hear. What car is it? Condition, mods etc?

Facelift A3 1.8t, it's prawns old daily... Fairly big spec: stage 2, large FMIC, Porsche brembo's, ARB's, polly bushed, coilovers, liquid gauge, ect ect. . . As you can see the list starts to add up pretty quickly!

She's in good condition as well, it's a real shame:

Funny, it always really annoys me when I see people braking decent cars... I can totally see how people are forced into it now tho

Let me know what you plan to with them wheels, 1st refusal would be nice.

Let me know what you plan to with them wheels, 1st refusal would be nice.

No problems mate, I'm gonna give them a refurb before I get rid of them tho.

Let me know about the brakes ������

I'll PM you sooner or later... By the looks of things she could be coming apart fairly soon

As I said, a proper shame tho... Gonna be tough taking her apart bit by bit!

if you do break it bud give me a shout could do with a few parts

Gutted :( Best car I ever owned!

Garage who did the cambelt have since gone under..... *surprise*

Hi Buddy , just read your post ref broken block mounting point , i read on the web a month or two back that there's a repair for this
www.dieselgeek.com check the website out mate . I believe this may be your answer , looks like its from the states but not tooo expensive and could answer your troubles .

Cheers Ant

Would be a massive waste/shame if you do decide to break it. Why would it need mapping again? You're only swapping engine blocks over, not ECU.

Fix it! Would be a shame to break it, wheels really suit it.

Are you running adapters?

Does seem the best option financially to break, but we own and mod cars like this with our hearts, not heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavis89
hey VAG-slag, have a look at this link for diesel geeks, I'm sure they have a solution to your problem for fairly cheap aswell

Cracked VW engine block repair bracket

hope this can be of some help to you :)

What an absolute find! . . Could be my life line here :) Will be ordering one of these kits ASAP although unfortunately I may still have to sell up after she's fixed, just hopefully in one piece!

Thanks for the link bud (also thanks to Ant for sharing the same link earlier!)

Fix it! Would be a shame to break it, wheels really suit it.

Are you running adapters?

Does seem the best option financially to break, but we own and mod cars like this with our hearts, not heads.

No, these are reps in a 5x100 fitment :yes: I see what you saying but I can't afford to own and mod cars like this at the mo, there comes a point where the head has to take over... But looks like I will be able to fix her now anyway!

Reactions: Airs and Phil-1
i want it back!

sadly, I have to buy a house first, so can't, but my god I want it again!

Mate.. I have an AGU block I want to flog if that helps you from breaking?

What an absolute find! . . Could be my life line here :) Will be ordering one of these kits ASAP although unfortunately I may still have to sell up after she's fixed, just hopefully in one piece!

Thanks for the link bud (also thanks to Ant for sharing the same link earlier!)

its not a problem, always good if you can help someone out with just a little bit of info :)

Reactions: Phil-1
So I ordered the fix kit and after waiting a few weeks it turned up:

Happy as larry, looks like a well made bit of kit and can't wait to get it on ;)

So was my day off today but I popped into the workshop anyway with the idea of getting this sorted... Was a little excited as I've almost forgotten what boost feels like!

So got the jump pack on her and turned her over... Nothing :unsure: didn't even sound like there was any compression. Whipped out the spark plugs and run a compression test, again, NOTHING across all four cylinders. . . Very concerning!

I've had a look for any obvious problem and seen this:

See it? . . . Here it is a little closer:

The engine mount has obviously contacted the tensioner at some point and it's most probably jumped a few teeth. When I get the chance (probably one evening next week) I'll re-do the timing and see what happens but it aint looking good.

It's weird because I drove the car to where it is now with no trouble... Is it possible the timing could be out by just enough that there's no compression but without breaking valves? If not then I fear I could be back in the same position as when I started this thread :(

Sorry to hear about this. Great looking car though if you manage to salvage it, which I hope you do.

Good luck with it.

Long live one of the original BADASS A3'S!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: westcoast a3
My brother is looking for a new car (hence my wanted ad) so if you can at least diagnose things, maybe sort it, he might be v interested. He's after something German and relatively quick, and would happily have an A3 if the right one came along.
If the price is right, wouldn't mind fixing things up if its just a belt and at worse a head rebuild

Oh noes :-( I was only just talking about this car with Prawn and Pierre on NYE, and that video too. Hope she lives!

Sorry to see about your woes mate hope you get back on your feet soon.

ha ha! Jardo that video made me chuckle... Although I've only used the launch control once and the diff exploded! Starting to think this car may be jinxed for me :ermm:

Thanks Karl but if I was going to sell her as she is then it'd make just as much sense financially to fix her my self. The more I think about it though the more I really REALLY want to get her back on the road. Tis purely about the £££'s at the mo tho, thinking about selling the rims to help fund repairs! lol desperate times

Anyway, I'll check the timing some time soon. When that doesn't magically fix everything (surprise!) then I'll whip the head off so we can see the full extent of the damage. If it's just a couple of bent valves then I suppose that wouldn't be too bad...

Reactions: 16Klappe
keeeeeeeeeeeeeep it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase!!!!!!!!!!!

:sign_unfair:

Fix it or gtfo, its only and engine. And it's not like you aren't a mechanic or anything.

If you need a hand, I am sure Prawn and I will volunteer to keep this piece of ASN history on the road.

This car made 224bhp with a stage 1, decat and filter on Bills rollers. Surely that makes it worth saving.

If you don't save it, I will.

Reactions: Airs