How hard do people drive their Audi's ???

I

imported_alecblack

Just thought i would ask out of interest. How hard do you drive your car?

Do you think this knackers the car?

When i drive mine hard i always think something is gone break. Maybe its cos mine is a 97 R plate with 78k and something is due to break or im just a pesamist.

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought i would ask out of interest. How hard do you drive your car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very...

Which is why at 3 years old and with only 13000 on the clock, my S3 had:
3 worn out suspension bushes
4 worn out dampers
1 full set (front and rear) of wrecked discs and pads
1 buffed sump
2 sets of nearly worn out tyres

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think this knackers the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...but you expect that.
If you drive hard, and the car is set up aggressively for maximum grip, and you drive it accordingly...you will wear out consumables - brakes, tyres, dampers, suspension bushes etc...

That's the way it goes...

The structural integrity of the car will be fine though - assuming you don't bend it. The rest are bolt on consumables...

The harder you drive, the more stuff wears out. Simple.

I do enjoy putting my foot down but usually in a straight line or coming out of roundabouts.

I don't throw it round corners or take it on track days.

I'm trying to get the balance between car longevity yet with fun too.

Think most S3 owners fit into what monkey trousers just described although I'm not so fussed about longevity however I always make sure the car is warmed up and cooled down well. I do like the 20-100 dash to join the motorway occasionally and like giving the b roads I know well a good dose of fun, which to be honest is when my car feels best. I find it sits a lot flatter through the bends and changes directions a lot better when seriously on the power!

I think ess_three has summed it up nicely as normal with regards to wear and tear!

I neva thrash my car unless the temp neelde gets to 90. But thats common knowledge i reckon. Otherwise ur asking for trouble in the engine department.

[ QUOTE ]
I neva thrash my car unless the temp neelde gets to 90. But thats common knowledge i reckon. Otherwise ur asking for trouble in the engine department.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be waiting for longer than that really... that's only water temp if you've got a A3... and there doesn't seem to be an easy solution to fit an oil temp gauge either!

Most of the time my car is driven pretty averagely, but on occassions pretty hard.
In scotland in the summer, I really "got into it" and really thrashed it everywhere. The nice clean wheels went brake dust black very quickly! All the roads in Scotland just encourage you though! The visibility round bends and things like that you just don't get down south.

To summarise then, pretty hard (doubt as hard as Glen though!), but only when the occassion calls for it

[ QUOTE ]
(doubt as hard as Glen though!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a theory...
My theory is that if I buy new, I have the length of the warranty in which to break as many things as possible, and have them repaired, with little - or no - input from my bank account.

If things break...they get fixed...and I have to be mindful in future...or sell it before they go again!

If they last, then they aren't likely to break...period. Which is good.

Tyres, brakes etc are obviously exempt from this...

Utilising this theory, the best car I have owned so far:
My Integra Type-R.

2 years...approx 18 trackdays and 12000 miles...and nothing worn out or broken. It didn't even use any oil.
Brilliant...

I have a year left to try and break the C4S...but thus far it is proving to be absolutely bulletproof, despite David R and I trying our hardest to break it on road and track. Hmm... Good car!

I haven't even felt the need to 'improve' or fettle it...fill it with petrol, check the oil and tyres...and drive it hard. Great!

Unfortunately, in the state of tune my S3 was in, it was hard on suspension parts...I think suspension bushes, balljoints etc were set to be common items being replaced.

Still a great car though...

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, in the state of tune my S3 was in, it was hard on suspension parts...I think suspension bushes, balljoints etc were set to be common items being replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think compared to other cars the S3 actually needs it's ball joints / track rods / ends replacing quite often even on a standard car, actually I'd say that goes for quite a lot of the bushes too.

I'd like the chance to break a new Porsche at some point in my life... better get back and do some work I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think compared to other cars the S3 actually needs it's ball joints / track rods / ends replacing quite often even on a standard car, actually I'd say that goes for quite a lot of the bushes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm agree.
I think the high power A3s are up towards the limit of what the standard suspension is reasonably expected to cope with, year in, year out.
Chipped, lowered. wider tyres, more aggresssive geomerty (more grip) seems to place suspension parts especially out of their comfort zone...and into the high wear catagory.
The A3/S3 is also a fairly heavy car....which doesn't help.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd like the chance to break a new Porsche at some point in my life... better get back and do some work I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're time will come...

...if you want it badly enough.

I beleive the S3's current owner continues to drive it with vigour - another set of tyres, discs and pads apparently... That has to be way less that 6,000 miles on the last set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would appear that I was the kindest of it's owners...in terms of consumables!
But...thus far, the hardest on suspension parts.

It would be a shame for such a fine machine to become a garage queen...very little chance of that with DJ at the helm, though...

That S3 will end up for sale in years to come advertised as NO CAREFUL OWNERS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm lucky as I live above my work and so have no commuting to do so my mileage is all social. I'm not fast just slightly brisk - my eyes were opened when I went on a Scottish meet. The adrenalin keeps you going on those!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're time will come...

...if you want it badly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, just want tvr more at the moment and I can't have one of them until I've got a house with a big garage which is a slightly larger problem... especially where I live!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(doubt as hard as Glen though!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a theory...
My theory is that if I buy new, I have the length of the warranty in which to break as many things as possible, and have them repaired, with little - or no - input from my bank account.

If things break...they get fixed...and I have to be mindful in future...or sell it before they go again!

If they last, then they aren't likely to break...period. Which is good.

Tyres, brakes etc are obviously exempt from this...

Utilising this theory, the best car I have owned so far:
My Integra Type-R.

2 years...approx 18 trackdays and 12000 miles...and nothing worn out or broken. It didn't even use any oil.
Brilliant...

I have a year left to try and break the C4S...but thus far it is proving to be absolutely bulletproof, despite David R and I trying our hardest to break it on road and track. Hmm... Good car!

I haven't even felt the need to 'improve' or fettle it...fill it with petrol, check the oil and tyres...and drive it hard. Great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. Drive mine very hard, that said I dont mistreat it, or drive it over what I expect its capability to be.

Loads replaced under warranty, currently 75K, ARB, bushes, disc and pads all round, steering rack, PS pump, clutch master cyl., full set of F1s every year.
... at that the drivable bits, streen cracked due to chasis flex - change FOC, 2 head units and 1 sub (bose), cup holder, door switch ....the list goes on.

I know of a GT3-RS which has demolished a set of pads and discs in just short of 2000 miles and hasn't even been near a track. Discs have a blue tinge and cracked around all the drill holes. Thats hard driving especially in this weather is asking to be bent.