Wheel Bearing

recomdos

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
My front NS bearing is going, and the whirring sound is beginning to drive me nuts! I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost (approx) for the parts and rough idea to fit...or the ease of fitting.

My recent MOT tester was very helpful and said they don't tend to go on both sides or in correlation to each other, so no need to replace both. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

NS bearings always go 1st (when you drive RHD cars), it comes down to harder cornering when turning right.

No need to change both sides as shouldnt be any cheaper relatively speaking to do so.

As for cost ?? no clue, I have always b4 my S3 changed my own, would definately get it done by a garage, not necessarily dealer.

Post the prices when you get them .... would be interest to know what it will cost.

Thanks mate,

Well I'm going to get it done by the mechanics section at my place of work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Never used them before, but my mate is quite pally with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. They quoted the part as being £52. I seen the kit on GSF for around £35 delivered, but was wondering if there is anything I'm 'missing' ya know?

Surely someone has faced this task in the past? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's not really a diy job, you need to be very careful when removing and replacing the 12 point nut on the end of the hub, and seperating the ball joint will most likely be a pain as well without the correct seperator, I wouldn't bother - that would be a job for a specalist. I think I was quoted about 3 hours labour and a lot more than that for the part from Fontain which is probably where I would have got it done.

Paid £203 fitted at the local Audi dealer 2 weeks ago.

[ QUOTE ]
Paid £203 fitted at the local Audi dealer 2 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems a very good price to me, which Audi dealer if you don't mind me asking as there's a chance I might need to get one replaced in the next month or two? Was that for the bearing or the whole hub?

It was Stansted Audi, and it was just the bearing.
Very very good dealer IMO.

Hi,
Am i missing something £203 for a wheel bearing replacement ''is a good price'' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif i'll think i'll slow down for corners from now on.
Merdock

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
Am i missing something £203 for a wheel bearing replacement ''is a good price'' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif i'll think i'll slow down for corners from now on.
Merdock

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually quite a lot of effort (and care is required) and you really need a good hydraulic press (preferably the Audi one meant for the job) to get the old one out or new one in, most independants would rather replace the whole hub as it's less hassle (time) but more costly parts. I think from memory the quote I had from Aston Green Audi was more like £300.

It's 1.5 hours labour.

So thats £150 for the labour and £50 for the part.

[ QUOTE ]
Hydraulic press? What about an old socket and a large hammer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats works too, but it has to be a large socket, and more like a sledge hammer...