No esp light on start up should I?

Gary_808

Reaction score
New here,
just picked up my 2001 s3 today,

i noticed on the way home it had an esp button but it seems to not do alot really,
no lights etc,

so a quick google and search and I noticed I don't have the esp warning symbol on my dash when I turn the ignition on,

should I? And how can I tell if I should?

Cheers

gary

seeing as it's a S3 it won't be an AGU. . . So yes, it should have ESP. Could be just a case of the bulb gone behind the dash. Usually if there's a fault with the ESP the light will be constantly on but of course that wont happen if the bulbs gone! lol

First thing to check would be the bulb IMO

I did get a bit confused lol
i went out an checked to find it was a AMK so started panicking that I couldn't find it at all lol!

Best way to check the bulb?

There isn't a light on the button is there?

Thanks again any help is much appreciated

hoping I haven't bought a lemon :(

I did get a bit confused lol
i went out an checked to find it was a AMK so started panicking that I couldn't find it at all lol!

Best way to check the bulb?

There isn't a light on the button is there?

Thanks again any help is much appreciated

hoping I haven't bought a lemon :(

Pretty sure the only way to check is to take the instrument cluster out... Not actually as bad as it sounds TBH. Pull the small bit of trim above the steering column out (should sort of twist up and out) then there's two screws either side of that holding the cluster in, undo them and you should be able to wiggle it free. Be careful of the three connectors that go into the back of the cluster, they have a kindo of swing arm on the top of them to release from the cluster. Just be careful not to break them.

And mate, even if it was worst case scenario a ESP fault there's only so bad that can be. Deffo nothing to start worrying about... Phhhhhhhh, I mean who needs traction control anyway!? You'll soon learn that the best fun is to be had with it off :eyebrows:

I'll give that ago tomorrow eve when I've got abit of light,

I'd be surprised if its ten removed a the last guy had spent a fair amount of cash keeping it tip top,
so fingers crossed,
I just want to know when it's on and off lol!
Thanks for the advice I'll report back tomorrow!

Just to update this,

Just had the cluster out, they are surface mount led's so little chance they'd have blown,

some one in the past filled the hole with tape!!!

any way I know have a working light and button,

I'll take it for a drive and check it doesn't come on as I had these faults when it was checked on vagcom...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8N0-907-379-MK20-E.lbl
Part No: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 01236
VCID: 3E73CDF83A63E0EEA6F-4B00

2 Faults Found:
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
57-10 - Electric Circuit Failure - Intermittent
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

we shall see abit happier though as I have already priced the sensor up.

I'm going to see if I have any issues before I order one, old mans abit of a dab hand at soldering soooo may be able to fix it,

Been out driving and hvent had any lights flashing so who knows.