1.8T or 1.9TDI quattro sport

dgannon69

Reaction score
Due to doing quite a few miles to work now and also since having an amd remap my 1.8T hasnt been exactly economical no matter how i drive it. I've found a 1.9TDi quattro sport (130) and am giving it serious consideration...

Which would you choose and why? I'm pretty sure that after a remap on the diesel it will be faster than my current 1.8T..

So whats it to be guys??

Regards
Dave

I've had a 1.8T (150BHP) and I'm familiar with a friend's TDi (130BHP).

The 1.8T is a bit quicker but the TDi gives a good account of itself. The1.8T is smoother and quieter.

As fuel economy seems to be your main grumble with the 1.8T then go with the TDi. But if you have it remapped its economy will also go down and diesel is slightly more expensive than petrol - will you really make a saving? Not much in it surely?

So what MPG is your A3 returning at the moment?

in standard i'm getting 33mpg and thats driving it very smoothly.

In remap we're talking more like about 28mpg driving smoothly and then about 20 when having some fun

Would the consumption on the diesel really go down that much?

I just want some more torque and nmot have to worry about where the next petrol station is...

[ QUOTE ]
Would the consumption on the diesel really go down that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not! 20 does seem low.

I have the TDi Q, and I am sure The Slug will be along here soon..

My car is Re mapped and has been for the last 68k miles. The DIS thing is giving an average of between 38-42 depending on how I drive, mostly motorway at 85 ish and some A roads. I think the only way I could get 20mpg is by putting a hole in the fuel tank!

Or, from Edinburgh, less than two tanks of fuel to Zurich in Switzerland via the ferry at Dover.

I dont want to start a 1.8T vs etc etc thread, but keep the TDi in mind. Especially is you have driven one already. Each to their own but I wouldnt change.

Rick

A Remapped 1.8T should be quite a lot quicker than a remapped 1.9Tdi IMO, however if fuel costs are a problem I reckon the Tdi is a great choice!

20Mpg is pretty bad, I can't even get my S3 down that far for more than a very short run, my average on the DIS (never gets reset hardly) is about 27.8 or something. I guess I do quite a lot of motorway / fast A roads however I also like to use the full potential of the car a few times a day.

how many miles do you do?

A mate has a B7 1.8T, my brother has a B5 1.8T... both very nice cars - but neither are a very fair contest with my remapped tdi! the B7 is very close in peak BHP (its a 163), but lacking the torque of the diesel you have to work either car much much harder to get the performance - the diesel is a much smoother drive across the range.. (in my opinion!)

The remapped 1.8T would be quicker still though, by a very useful margin!

However, and this is the big point - Im still getting an average 43mpg.. (I do about 30k annually, so I calculate this is in the order of best part of £1000 saved despite higher diesel price...) I assume diesel carries a lower insurance premium too?

What I dont know is if any difference in servicing costs will either enhance or reduce that gap..

If I was low mileage user, it would be a harder decision, I do like the petrols.. but then Id start looking at the bigger ones.. ;-)

well i do abou 50 miles a day to work and back but don't like driving like i'm trying to save every little mile that i can.

i didnt have to do this in my last A3 1.8T when it was remapped. the power was just the same apart from when you floored the thing.

I think the problem with this remap is that even with a slight push on the accelerator i'm getting a lot of boost so i can't really drive smoothly...

Would the fact its a non drive by wire make any difference to the way the power is set out in the map?

A few people have mentioned that it could be the MAF but i'm not experiencing and rough idles...

The only thing i have noticed is that when putting my foot down, changing from 1st to second and then flooring it again there is no boost for about 2 seconds and the car just acts like its dead...

Any more suggestions much appreciated.

P.S. don't think i'll be going for the diesel. Docklands audi in london told me they would offer me about £8000 for my car which i paid £11500 for abtou 6 weeks ago... jokers!!!

[ QUOTE ]
A Remapped 1.8T should be quite a lot quicker than a remapped 1.9Tdi IMO, however if fuel costs are a problem I reckon the Tdi is a great choice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, have u even driven a PD130/150 with a remap of just short of 200bhp, the torque is astonishing, lighting up the tyres from 1st - 3rd.
My sis's b/f has the golf mk4 remapped and belive me its pretty dam quick, and im sure he'd be willing to prove a point to.........

oh and yes 40mpg + too, hehe

Mr Dgannon69 go try one for yourself you'll be very impressed