Gearbox mounting bolts sheared off, how to remove the remains?

coolspot007007

Reaction score
Following on from this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ious-sounding-drivetrain-noises-grinding.html I finally got a chance to look at the car in daylight for the first time. The 3 bolts for the gear box mount have sheared off, right at the end of the hole, no visible threads. With it leaning to one side the driveshaft was rubbing the housing and it's also damaged the P/S pipe and emptied the system so that seems to wrap up all my symptoms. How the hell do I go about getting the bolts out? (with the gearbox on the car ideally)

Drill and use ar reversed tap.

Reactions: coolspot007007
it is a ******* to use those easy out reverse tap things that mex is on about... ive sheared those things of myself making it even worse due to having an even harder piece on metal in the hole! i would get a mobile mechanic out to do it myself prob charge 40-80 quid...

The extractors sound quite hit and miss from what I've read. I'm going to try welding a washer to the bolt and then a nut to the washer, the heat should help it along and will pre soak with plusgas the night before. Have ordered some multi spline type extractors anyway as a backup as these seem to be slightly more reliable than the pointy type, that break a lot.

my brother had a similar issue but found the remains of the sheared bolts to just unscrew easily, could be different in your case though.

Just to update this, I did manage to get the bolts out by welding washers to the remains of the bolts and then nuts to the washers. One did require me to build up the bolt as it was about 2mm into the hole. All of them were blow torched then soaked in Plusgas the two previous days to give me a fighting chance. Only one bolt was stubborn, but all came out on the first attempt.

Last edited: