Heavy fuel consumption - 1.9TDi - Faulty injectors?

bobberuk

Reaction score
My 1999 (V) 1.9 TDi 110 has started to drink ridiculous amounts of fuel, and has become rather smoky at higher range revs... i'm guessing it's a faulty injector(s)... anyone know the best way to test/check which one it is and where an affordable replacement can be found?

Are they an easy DIY replacement?

Thanks in advance...

Bob

Injectors are easily replaced on that car bit it could be many other things causing the issue. Boost leaks from a hole in a hose won't help, Other issues with the engine also may be affecting it. Have you checked for any fault codes.
Get yourself a VAG-COM lead and check for issues, free software from the Ross Tech site.

VAG GROUP USB COM PORT OBD2 II KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE LEAD VCDS-LITE 409 | eBay

Karl.

Yeah I have a hand held error code gizmo, and it's not reporting any errors. Would a faulty injector throw up an error?

Where do I go from here? I've been reading that some loose or split air/breather hoses can cause the engine to overfuel. Which hoses do I need to check in particular that would have an effect on fuel consumption?

Cheers

Bob

Last edited:
IMG 0682

I'm not sure if this gives any clues, but Iive noticed some oily deposits on the part (dunno what it is) just above left of the oil filler, and also to the right where the small black pipe attaches to the end of the hose. Could this have anything to do with why I'm getting high diesel consumption? It's not leaking from the oil filler.

Thanks

Bob

Thats the EGR valve and it looks like the seals have gone on the shaft as it appears to be pretty gungy.Very common fault for the seal to go and then you get crankcase vent oil mist coming from the valve. I would take it off and clean it out, It's possible it's very blocked up and this will cause a large obstruction to air into the engine.

Blocked-EGR-Valve-Problems.jpg

You can disable the EGR by disconnecting the vacuum line off the silver coloured actuator on top of the EGR valve. Just pull the vacuum line off and plug the end of the pipe with a golf tee, bolt or similar.

Karl.

Thanks Karl, that's really helpful. So if this is blocked as you suggest, would it suggest being the cause of the heavy fuel consumption i'm experiencing? I guess it might result in misleading readings for the ECU which would then overfuel as a result?

Thanks again!

Bob