EM TuningSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Serious sounding drivetrain noises / grinding

I set off on my way home today suddenly get an intermittent knocking sound on the nearside which sounded like perhaps the caliper was binding on the disc, something rotaional anyway. Carried on but it got worse and worse over the (slow) 3 miles home. I parked up half way jacked up the wheel and had a slight grinding/binding noise when spinning wheel. I suspected a driveshaft problem at that point as it sounded more towards the box and checking for play in the wheel bearing there were no obvious signs of a problem. By the time I got home the other side was kicking off a bit and making turns required LOTS of effort. The engine was happily revving, no noises in neutral or in gear when not moving. It did seem to drive semi ok if you steadily increased the speed but as soon as I backed off the throttle there was a terrible rattling and shaking going on. I've had a driveshaft shred itself at the gearbox end on my clio and had a similar shaking/rattilng so hoping it's that but worried about the other side seemingly affected towards the end. Any other ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Have you checked gearbox oil?

Neutral

Status
    Not had chance yet, think it will be the weekend unless I can get a half day off. There were no signs of leaks from CV/box from what I could see/feel.

5th Gear

Status
    Check Power steering fluid too if you get chance

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    what car?

Probably 1.6?

Diff pins eating gearbox?

Neutral

Status
    It's an 8L S3 (AMK). When the driveshaft got fubar'd on my 172 it behaved in the opposite way, rattling under acceleration rather than deceleration. This is my first quattro car though so am not au fait with the behaviour of this setup when driveshafts go. Is the 8L S3 a dual mass fly wheel?

2nd gear sorts em out

Status
    my s3 has got the same noise - binding discs and its going in the garage today to see if they can find out what it is so will keep you posted !

Neutral

Status
    Nice one. I'm hoping to get mine in the air ASAP when I get a bit of daylight, hate having to work on cars this time of year .

2nd gear sorts em out

Status
    right mines been in the garage and the result is my ebc redstuff pads are making the noise thats the only answer. i thought it could be from when my slave cylinder failed but they have changed the brake fluid and its still there not as bad but still there its most noisy first thing in the morning when the car has been stood overnight but it does go away the warmer the brakes get

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that, mine sounds really "mechanical" though. I'm confident it's a driveshaft or rather more expensive gearbox isssue.

silver sleeper

Status
    just fixed a very similar sounding problem mate it was my power steering pump, the bearings inside!! check my recent threads.

its worth a shot as its easy to get too and change... heres a video of me spinning mine.

mine was jamming and making the belt slip occasionally but sounded like i had nuts in my gearbox!
    1999 apy s3, n249 delete, sai and n112 delete. bbs lm reps, s2000 filter, relentless v3 manifold, relentless downpipe and sports cat, scorpion cat back system, badger 5 v3 tip, bam rocker cover, push in coilpacks, toyosports fmic, amd remapped to 280.3 bhp and 263.9 lb/ft.