Serious sounding drivetrain noises / grinding

coolspot007007

Reaction score
I set off on my way home today suddenly get an intermittent knocking sound on the nearside which sounded like perhaps the caliper was binding on the disc, something rotaional anyway. Carried on but it got worse and worse over the (slow) 3 miles home. I parked up half way jacked up the wheel and had a slight grinding/binding noise when spinning wheel. I suspected a driveshaft problem at that point as it sounded more towards the box and checking for play in the wheel bearing there were no obvious signs of a problem. By the time I got home the other side was kicking off a bit and making turns required LOTS of effort. The engine was happily revving, no noises in neutral or in gear when not moving. It did seem to drive semi ok if you steadily increased the speed but as soon as I backed off the throttle there was a terrible rattling and shaking going on. I've had a driveshaft shred itself at the gearbox end on my clio and had a similar shaking/rattilng so hoping it's that but worried about the other side seemingly affected towards the end. Any other ideas?

Not had chance yet, think it will be the weekend unless I can get a half day off. There were no signs of leaks from CV/box from what I could see/feel.

It's an 8L S3 (AMK). When the driveshaft got fubar'd on my 172 it behaved in the opposite way, rattling under acceleration rather than deceleration. This is my first quattro car though so am not au fait with the behaviour of this setup when driveshafts go. Is the 8L S3 a dual mass fly wheel?

my s3 has got the same noise - binding discs and its going in the garage today to see if they can find out what it is so will keep you posted !

Nice one. I'm hoping to get mine in the air ASAP when I get a bit of daylight, hate having to work on cars this time of year :(.

right mines been in the garage and the result is my ebc redstuff pads are making the noise thats the only answer. i thought it could be from when my slave cylinder failed but they have changed the brake fluid and its still there not as bad but still there its most noisy first thing in the morning when the car has been stood overnight but it does go away the warmer the brakes get

Thanks for that, mine sounds really "mechanical" though. I'm confident it's a driveshaft or rather more expensive gearbox isssue.

just fixed a very similar sounding problem mate it was my power steering pump, the bearings inside!! check my recent threads.

its worth a shot as its easy to get too and change... heres a video of me spinning mine.

mine was jamming and making the belt slip occasionally but sounded like i had nuts in my gearbox!

Last edited by a moderator: