Badger5Chris Nott

Re: TWS Oil - Cheapest source?

Matt

I'll have 2x 4 litre jobbies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Factory fit sub woofer upgrade

Sad as I am, I've built a custom sub woofer that replaces the factory fit unit in the A3/S3. I purchased a Bose unit off ebay, but was disappointed that they use the same flimsy, rattlely, plastic enclosure of the standard unit. This got me thinking. So I made a replica from 12mm MDF and used an Alpine 3 way amp to drive the sub (Bose speakers) & rear speakers. The difference is impressive. So I wondered if there is a market for such an upgrade. I am going to try it out using an Alpine 6.5" component driver as well, to see if the Bose components are necessary, as getting hold of these might be an issue. Anyone interested?

1st Gear

Status
    I think jl audio do one, ive seen them on ebay before
    A3 1.8t facelift 150p, milltek catback, forge 007p, gloss black roof, black s3 spoiler

next on the list is some wietec coilies and eibach arbs front &rear

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Blast from the past!

Andy still does his "Andy Mac stealth subs" and they are very good.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan1.8t View Post
    I think jl audio do one, ive seen them on ebay before
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    Blast from the past!

Andy still does his "Andy Mac stealth subs" and they are very good.
    One and the same I believe... AMSS is a great bit of kit... I have one myself with the JL 6" sub in it... sounds very nice indeed....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Me too. Best upgrade you'll ever do, unless you do a 'tufty-turbo'...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

3rd Gear

Status
    When funds allow i will definitely be doing this upgrade, the thing thats missing from the bose system is a bit more sub punch!

Neutral

Status
    How much are we talking for this upgrade then guys, may save me getting the wood tools out!

Chugger

Status
    the loudspeaker itself is pretty costly. PM andy mac and he'l be able to give you an upto date price, he can supply box, amp and speaker if you wish, even the adapter plug to run with standard bose or non-bose. Cracking bit of kit
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

1st gear

Status
    I also have an andy mac stealth box and managed to fit an 8" sub into it and is miles better than the so called Bose sub
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

gez
    S3 hunter

Status
    350 from andymac

1st gear

Status
    think i paid 135 for the box but not 100%
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

5th Gear

Status
    Or you can get an adapter from AndyMac which allows you to plug in a conventional Sub into the standard Bose (on the left side of the boot so plugs into the what the adapter on used to be plugged into the standard sub - obv you still have to run your own power to the car battery) system which just works of the bass setting on your head unit. I've done this and run a 8" Fli Sub (like mine more punchier than bassy) in the boot like this one: FLI - FT10 800W Active Subwoofer & Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sure it eats up about 1/3 of the boot but not a huge amount and still plenty of room for 'boot' stuff... Makes the standard Bose Audi sub look ridiculous - even at normal setting just a fuller richer bass. I'd never go back in a million years - I run it using the standard OEM Bose speakers in the doors and it compliments it well. (if your speakers aren't knackered - have replaced 2 which started to rattle!)
    Last edited by fran-s3; 18th March 2011 at 09:06.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    Or you can get an adapter from AndyMac which allows you to plug in a conventional Sub into the standard Bose (on the left side of the boot so plugs into the what the adapter on used to be plugged into the standard sub - obv you still have to run your own power to the car battery) system which just works of the bass setting on your head unit. I've done this and run a 8" Fli Sub (like mine more punchier than bassy) in the boot like this one: FLI - FT10 800W Active Subwoofer & Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sure it eats up about 1/3 of the boot but not a huge amount and still plenty of room for 'boot' stuff... Makes the standard Bose Audi sub look ridiculous - even at normal setting just a fuller richer bass. I'd never go back in a million years - I run it using the standard OEM Bose speakers in the doors and it compliments it well. (if your speakers aren't knackered - have replaced 2 which started to rattle!)
    Hi fran-s3,

How did you run the power cable to the back? Is there a specific route through the engine bay that you took?
    Current: Audi S3 (2002) in black...
    Previous: Renault Clio Williams 3 (1995)