Factory fit sub woofer upgrade

Matt

I'll have 2x 4 litre jobbies
smile.gif

Sad as I am, I've built a custom sub woofer that replaces the factory fit unit in the A3/S3. I purchased a Bose unit off ebay, but was disappointed that they use the same flimsy, rattlely, plastic enclosure of the standard unit. This got me thinking. So I made a replica from 12mm MDF and used an Alpine 3 way amp to drive the sub (Bose speakers) & rear speakers. The difference is impressive. So I wondered if there is a market for such an upgrade. I am going to try it out using an Alpine 6.5" component driver as well, to see if the Bose components are necessary, as getting hold of these might be an issue. Anyone interested?

I think jl audio do one, ive seen them on ebay before

Blast from the past!

Andy still does his "Andy Mac stealth subs" and they are very good.

One and the same I believe... AMSS is a great bit of kit... I have one myself with the JL 6" sub in it... sounds very nice indeed.... :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

Me too. Best upgrade you'll ever do, unless you do a 'tufty-turbo'...

Cheers,

When funds allow i will definitely be doing this upgrade, the thing thats missing from the bose system is a bit more sub punch!

How much are we talking for this upgrade then guys, may save me getting the wood tools out!

the loudspeaker itself is pretty costly. PM andy mac and he'l be able to give you an upto date price, he can supply box, amp and speaker if you wish, even the adapter plug to run with standard bose or non-bose. Cracking bit of kit

I also have an andy mac stealth box and managed to fit an 8" sub into it and is miles better than the so called Bose sub

Or you can get an adapter from AndyMac which allows you to plug in a conventional Sub into the standard Bose (on the left side of the boot so plugs into the what the adapter on used to be plugged into the standard sub - obv you still have to run your own power to the car battery) system which just works of the bass setting on your head unit. I've done this and run a 8" Fli Sub (like mine more punchier than bassy) in the boot like this one: FLI - FT10 800W Active Subwoofer & Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sure it eats up about 1/3 of the boot but not a huge amount and still plenty of room for 'boot' stuff... Makes the standard Bose Audi sub look ridiculous - even at normal setting just a fuller richer bass. I'd never go back in a million years - I run it using the standard OEM Bose speakers in the doors and it compliments it well. (if your speakers aren't knackered - have replaced 2 which started to rattle!)

Last edited:
Or you can get an adapter from AndyMac which allows you to plug in a conventional Sub into the standard Bose (on the left side of the boot so plugs into the what the adapter on used to be plugged into the standard sub - obv you still have to run your own power to the car battery) system which just works of the bass setting on your head unit. I've done this and run a 8" Fli Sub (like mine more punchier than bassy) in the boot like this one: FLI - FT10 800W Active Subwoofer & Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sure it eats up about 1/3 of the boot but not a huge amount and still plenty of room for 'boot' stuff... Makes the standard Bose Audi sub look ridiculous - even at normal setting just a fuller richer bass. I'd never go back in a million years - I run it using the standard OEM Bose speakers in the doors and it compliments it well. (if your speakers aren't knackered - have replaced 2 which started to rattle!)

Hi fran-s3,

How did you run the power cable to the back? Is there a specific route through the engine bay that you took?