Radio aerial 'base', will any similar age Audi do?

buel

Reaction score
Hi,

My girlfriend's 1999 A3's radio reception is very poor and she has been told that she needs to get a replacement aerial 'base' as these tend to stop working.
Please can I ask will any same age Audi aerial base do? And are they difficult to take off as I'm guessing that I'll have to go to s scrap yard?

Thank you in advance.

Buel

I got a replacement base and rubber seal from the dealer parts dept. (years back), but the original A3 part was superseeded by an Audi A6 part. It was identical so I just got that. I could get the part number out of my service history but I'm not home until next week. I'm sure your friendly local Audi parts dept. can tell you the part number.

Hey thanks for that, you are one top guy. I will ring the Audi main dealer tomorrow with my debit card in hand.... :eek:(

Just a pointer - they might try selling you the aerial mast too but you can buy the base just on its own. Let me know if you have any trouble and I'll check my service history over the weekend.

Hey thanks so much for that s3mad_dude and epox, I really do appreciate that!!
I rang my local Audi dealer and was quite specific that I wanted an aerial base and I was quoted £164!! Blimey!
So s3mad_dude, Im not sure if the part number will really help at all being as I dont want to buy new....well not for that price.

Please can I ask does the shark fin thing epox gave the link to look as if it would work? Not sure about the whole shark fin thing though.....

Thanks epox, I just filled in the car details and got this message:
'This item does not fit Audi A3 2001 8L1 [1996-2003] Hatchback.'

Damn it!! :eek:(

Thank you both of you. s3mad_mad, unfortunately it isn't the seals that I need, it is a new aerial base (£100+ from Audi) but it seems like the shark fin will do the job?

Hi all,

I dont mean to drag this on but I emailed my local car audio shop and sent him a link of the fin and asked if it would do the job.....he said it was a cheap copy and does not work well. Got to be worth a go, do you think?

why not try a scrap yard? iam sure they would only be a fiver or so... would think any a3 would work if it has the same audio system fitted. as above i have the shark fin and it seems to work fine, saying that when changing the rear washer the other day i noticed the aerial is also connected to the rear screen heater strange but true.

mark

Can it be worse than what you've already got? If not and it's only a few quid, give it a go!

Brilliant, you two!!
Thanks a lot!!

Hi,
OK, shark fin ordered. Please can I ask are there any special instructions as such because I notice epox stated that he had to 'had to splice' the wires?

Hi,
OK, shark fin ordered. Please can I ask are there any special instructions as such because I notice epox stated that he had to 'had to splice' the wires?

I've never fitted one so I can't comment - the aerial base I replaced was a straight swap (remove/replace) - sorry :-(