Brushed Aluminium/Stainless/Chrome mirrors?

Markb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking at the S3 mirrors covers and I see that they did a Brushed effect one. Can you tell me whether it's Aluminium, Stainless or Chrome? As I've done a search and they are referred to differently in all of the posts. Also what year cars did they come on?

Finally please post some pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark.

the pictures i sent you have them in. Their polished aluminium.

Mark, id say the geniune ones are Aluminium, cuz theyd be lighter in weight, So Polished Alu. wud be the proper term i wudda thought, come on guys with em, u surly must know

AFAIK, the S3 that had them as an optional extra are polished aluminium items, but you can get RS6 one which fit which are brushed aluminium. In pro ones that I have on my car are bling bling chrome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

how long u had yrs on for now Joe, cuz i remember u sayin they're startin to peel/pitted a bit

[ QUOTE ]
you can get RS6 one which fit which are brushed aluminium.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll be the ones that I am after then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Didn't realise that they were the same mirrors?

[ QUOTE ]
how long u had yrs on for now Joe, cuz i remember u sayin they're startin to peel/pitted a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Around 20 months, they are not peeling, just signs of corrosion spots from the salted roads we have to put up with, and only noticeable when close up.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get the correct year Mark, not sure if they do a brushed Mirror for pre-facelift A3/S3s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get the correct year Mark, not sure if they do a brushed Mirror for pre-facelift A3/S3s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I can get some for the pre-facelift mirrors. Otherwise I'll have to change the whole unit if I go down this route.

Markb

According to my facelift UK June 2000 dated S3 brochure, under standard equipment they are referred to as

"Door mirrors, electrically adjustable and heated, housings made of polished and anodised aluminium"

So i guess genuine S3 items are polished Alu.

HTH

only the polished ally ones for the S3 the RS6 ones will fit. You will have a problem fitting the units to a pre-facelift but the problem can be overcome, i have done it pm me for a how to do it

I don't want 'bling bling' chrome!

I want some similar to the ones on Glens old car:

33526090-80a4-02000180-.jpg

He refers to them as "Anti-bling satin silver mirrors"

[ QUOTE ]
Make some yourself from the some original bling mirrors?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't look the same though...

The RS6 type mirrors are almost an anodised finish...similar to bead blasting...I can't remember seeing and of the small scratch marke associated with the self-brushed look.

You could always spray them like those cheapo grey Seat mirrors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

God, those look awful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You could always spray them like those cheapo grey Seat mirrors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

God, those look awful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say I've seen them...got any pics?

My next door neighbour has got some on his Ibiza FR.

I'll take some pics later if he's in.

Here's one I found on the web.

Tacky S3 look painted mirrors anyone?

ibiza%2520fr.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
My next door neighbour has got some on his Ibiza FR.

I'll take some pics later if he's in.

Here's one I found on the web.

Tacky S3 look painted mirrors anyone?

ibiza%2520fr.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

Not

Yep, they look sh!t. Though the hand-done ones look even worse. And while that seat is up there, what have they done to the Leon? I used to like the old Cupra but the new shape is awful.