It Likes the Cold Air!!!

JudderMan

Reaction score
Apart from a slowing battery, thanks to being sat for a few days or so (just haven't needed to drive anywhere), I popped to get a Chinese takeaway tonight showing -0.5C on the DIS. Christmas Christ does it like the cold air. Obviously I let it heat up properly (went the long way ;)) and gave it some hooning and it was snorting like mad. Gobbling up that dense air like a hungry hippo.

Nearly had my A3 a year (30/11) and done 12k miles. Pretty impressed but I'm looking at b5 S4s possibly next year, but I will be keeping this little beauty. It's the best grand I've spent on a car ;) Not the fastest or the most fun but well worth £1,050 I paid for it.

That's all.

Yeah, my S3 is defo pulling harder in the cooler climate. Roll on xmas and the snow :p

Reactions: Goubo1
Of course it does guys.............the combustion engine loves cool condensed air and your car will perform alot better in the cold than in the heat. Cold dense air inside the combustion chambers will expand rapidly during the combustion cycle and create a bigger explosion within the combustion chambers producing more power.

Reactions: wanton
Yup, no wonder those Scandinavians build insane power turbo cars with ambient temps like this all year round.

Bet it's even colder up your way Brodster?

Reactions: Brodster
****** freezing today mate.........The frost didn't lift all day but there is NO snow yet so thats a bonus. My S3 is going away every night into The Detailing Barn where its nice n warm and dry.

Reactions: JudderMan
Looking forward to my 1st winter with my S3, Let it snow... :)

Reactions: S3 GHO, wanton and JudderMan
Forgot to say, my DIS reset itself. Is the first sign of the battery on its way out? The car was a little slow to start, not horrendous, but it's usually within 1-2 seconds it starts - it was more like 5-6 seconds last night. I know it's cold and it had sat for a while.

Forgot to say, my DIS reset itself. Is the first sign of the battery on its way out? The car was a little slow to start, not horrendous, but it's usually within 1-2 seconds it starts - it was more like 5-6 seconds last night. I know it's cold and it had sat for a while.

You're probably not an idiot like me, but make sure your battery terminals are tight :yahoo:

My DIS kept reseting, Stereo restarting, Misfiring.... i'd forgotten to tighten up the terminals after having the battery out :busted_cop:

You're probably not an idiot like me, but make sure your battery terminals are tight :yahoo:

My DIS kept reseting, Stereo restarting, Misfiring.... i'd forgotten to tighten up the terminals after having the battery out :busted_cop:

No no, I'm definitely an idiot, I will check in the morning :) Cheers!

No no, I'm definitely an idiot, I will check in the morning :) Cheers!

haha no worries... was rather embarrassing - especially after i'd be trying to find the cheapest place for a new alternator for 3 hours before.

Well, tonight was fun. Packed the car full of stuff as I'm moving this weekend. Went to fire it up and the battery was slow as hell, every time I turned it over the windows sounded like they were trying to drop down a little too. Needless to say, the battery went dead soon after. The DIS reset itself again (mpg, av speed etc). Checked the battery terminals, all tight enough. So, nothing left but to push star the car....I live on a busy street, 5:30pm on a Friday night, in the cold, wet and almost icy weather.....running down the main road with the door open, hop in, fire her up and she's fine.

Went to get petrol, gave it some 3rd gear pulls from 30mph to get some juice into the battery.

How can you tell if your alternator is weak? Or is it just my battery? I'm using the car every other day now pretty much but I need it to move house this weekend....It's like it absolutely hates the cold. I turn off the heaters before I turn it off and obviously don't start with the lights on. It must be the battery then...surely?

Get a ctek battery conditioner mate!

ive stored my m3 for the winter and everyone told me to get one as battery's expensive on them and I must say its an excellent piece of kit! Mine fired up fine no problems but when I connected the ctek it turns out the battery was only holding 1/3 of its charge.......
mine is an msx ctek 3.8 new model and it was £52 delivered with free battery tester. Well worth it in my opinion also comes with a 5 year warranty.

google or ebay them mate, I've been told they can bring back to life knackered batteries too, what car and auto express voted them best on the market.

cheers, Sean