• 1 Post By Brodster
  • 1 Post By JudderMan
  • 1 Post By Brodster
  • 3 Post By Artsa

Thread: It Likes the Cold Air!!!

4th Gear

Status

It Likes the Cold Air!!!

Apart from a slowing battery, thanks to being sat for a few days or so (just haven't needed to drive anywhere), I popped to get a Chinese takeaway tonight showing -0.5C on the DIS. Christmas Christ does it like the cold air. Obviously I let it heat up properly (went the long way ) and gave it some hooning and it was snorting like mad. Gobbling up that dense air like a hungry hippo.

Nearly had my A3 a year (30/11) and done 12k miles. Pretty impressed but I'm looking at b5 S4s possibly next year, but I will be keeping this little beauty. It's the best grand I've spent on a car Not the fastest or the most fun but well worth £1,050 I paid for it.

That's all.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Yeah, my S3 is defo pulling harder in the cooler climate. Roll on xmas and the snow :P
    Goubo1 likes this.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Of course it does guys.............the combustion engine loves cool condensed air and your car will perform alot better in the cold than in the heat. Cold dense air inside the combustion chambers will expand rapidly during the combustion cycle and create a bigger explosion within the combustion chambers producing more power.
    wanton likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

4th Gear

Status
    Yup, no wonder those Scandinavians build insane power turbo cars with ambient temps like this all year round.

Bet it's even colder up your way Brodster?
    Brodster likes this.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Bloody freezing today mate.........The frost didn't lift all day but there is NO snow yet so thats a bonus. My S3 is going away every night into The Detailing Barn where its nice n warm and dry.
    JudderMan likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    Looking forward to my 1st winter with my S3, Let it snow...
    JudderMan, wanton and S3 GHO like this.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the physics lesson fella, Nicol

6th Gear

Status
    Time for winter tyres, roads are getting slippery round here now
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

4th Gear

Status
    Forgot to say, my DIS reset itself. Is the first sign of the battery on its way out? The car was a little slow to start, not horrendous, but it's usually within 1-2 seconds it starts - it was more like 5-6 seconds last night. I know it's cold and it had sat for a while.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JudderMan View Post
    Forgot to say, my DIS reset itself. Is the first sign of the battery on its way out? The car was a little slow to start, not horrendous, but it's usually within 1-2 seconds it starts - it was more like 5-6 seconds last night. I know it's cold and it had sat for a while.
    You're probably not an idiot like me, but make sure your battery terminals are tight

My DIS kept reseting, Stereo restarting, Misfiring.... i'd forgotten to tighten up the terminals after having the battery out

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by russwuss View Post
    You're probably not an idiot like me, but make sure your battery terminals are tight

My DIS kept reseting, Stereo restarting, Misfiring.... i'd forgotten to tighten up the terminals after having the battery out
    No no, I'm definitely an idiot, I will check in the morning Cheers!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JudderMan View Post
    No no, I'm definitely an idiot, I will check in the morning Cheers!
    haha no worries... was rather embarrassing - especially after i'd be trying to find the cheapest place for a new alternator for 3 hours before.

4th Gear

Status
    Well, tonight was fun. Packed the car full of stuff as I'm moving this weekend. Went to fire it up and the battery was slow as hell, every time I turned it over the windows sounded like they were trying to drop down a little too. Needless to say, the battery went dead soon after. The DIS reset itself again (mpg, av speed etc). Checked the battery terminals, all tight enough. So, nothing left but to push star the car....I live on a busy street, 5:30pm on a Friday night, in the cold, wet and almost icy weather.....running down the main road with the door open, hop in, fire her up and she's fine.

Went to get petrol, gave it some 3rd gear pulls from 30mph to get some juice into the battery.

How can you tell if your alternator is weak? Or is it just my battery? I'm using the car every other day now pretty much but I need it to move house this weekend....It's like it absolutely hates the cold. I turn off the heaters before I turn it off and obviously don't start with the lights on. It must be the battery then...surely?

5th Gear

Status
    Get a ctek battery conditioner mate!

ive stored my m3 for the winter and everyone told me to get one as battery's expensive on them and I must say its an excellent piece of kit! Mine fired up fine no problems but when I connected the ctek it turns out the battery was only holding 1/3 of its charge.......
    mine is an msx ctek 3.8 new model and it was £52 delivered with free battery tester. Well worth it in my opinion also comes with a 5 year warranty.

google or ebay them mate, I've been told they can bring back to life knackered batteries too, what car and auto express voted them best on the market.

cheers, Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

5th Gear

Status
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!