Bleeding brakes/ABS

Kenzie96

Reaction score
Hi all done a quick search and couldn't find anything to help me so thought I'd make quick thread.
Okay so I was replacing the rear calipers on my a3, removed one caliper to get the casting number to be sure to get the right ones, clampe DSC 0051d the flexi to stop air getting into the system and fluid getting out.
But being the c**t he is my brother needed some vice grips so took them off the car. The system ran dry of fluid and after replacing the calipers I now I cant get the brakes to bleed properly at all.
I've tried bleeding them the conventional way and now have vcds lite and have tried bleeding the abs to no luck (vcds won't work properly).
I've gotten a good amount of air out the system but still don't have any brakes tI'll my foot is on the floor and if I press it any harder then the wheels lock up and the car starts skidding. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do? Also I'll attach a pic of vcds to show what I mean about it, the go box is greyed out not allowing me to select it.
Thabks In advance

you need to bleed it at the MC, they are a pain to get air out of. 2 Little nipples alongside the fluid res, a pain to get to, but what you need to get brakes back

Okay I can see one at the right hand side but can't see another One?

You are meant to do this in a certain way. But these cars are really hard to bleed. I dont diy but it took me 3 garages to get a good pedal back after putting r32 brakes on my s3. I didnt think you were meant to use the traditional method on our master cylinders?

Hmm okay so am I meant to use one of those vacuum bleeders?

To my k owledge you are but my car is an s3 so may be different. You can damage the mc seals if your not careful.

I'm beginning to think I may have damaged the seals...

next time If you change calipers, you first need to push in and hold/block the brake pedal an inch or 2, so the holes in the mastercylinder are closed. the fluid wil stay in the lines and will not drain. as an extra, you can clamp the hoses.

A lot less air in the lines, and much easyer bleeding.

Okay I'll remember that for next time and I've just noticed the other bleed nipple just wasn't looking hard enough! So bleed the mc rear then front bleed nipple then bleed the brakes then the abs?