What have you done today?

On Wednesday I picked up a new Coolant Sensor only to find the green one doesn't fit. Have to wait until tomorrow to pick a different one up. My first ever proper fix attempted myself rather than £30 parts plus labour from garage and i failed miserably!!! Sad post :( :sob:

Haven't driven the car properly for ages, it's sat on the drive mainly and I felt it needed a good drive to blow the cobwebs out, so I took it over the A4069 Black Mountain pass, lovely day for it, and fairly quiet up there which always makes for a better drive!

Here's a snap of the car with the famous hairpin in the background.

image.jpg

Reactions: The Doctor, superkarl, boostisbest and 5 others
Not today but after fitting my 2 piece discs, I noticed there was a light scraping noise from the front left when I was coasting and turning left, after the disc had warmed up. So took the wheels off for inspection and thought the disc was a bit close to the caliper for comfort!

5D3151DD-0E3C-4561-9019-FDF648F9FB6C_zpsgv9pcphe.jpg

Took the caliper off to see where it was catching after the discs got hot and expanded!

AEEA1EB9-C3FE-4593-8702-B28C555723E9_zps7tbwrwik.jpg

I think I may need to custom make some larger caliper spacers! The B5 ones were designed for LCR calipers, but it looks like my Brembo GT calipers may have less clearance?, they work perfectly fine with LCR 323mm solid discs, so this is a surprise! I will post my findings in a separate thread at a later date once I'm done.

Removed dins from my stereo to get it out......... only to find fitting a concert 2 plus to my S3 isn't straight forward . ISO to quadlock loom no good :banghead:

Had a go at restoring my headlights properly.

They were quite pitted and cloudy to start with so I got a turtle wax kit and also some wet n dry sandpaper.

I used the sand paper (by hand) to remove the worst of the pitting and changed grades all the way to 2400 grit. I then used the turtle wax kit to finish them off.

I found that after all that the best way to get them as clear as possible was using Megs Plast-X which again was a lot of elbow grease but defo a lot better than they were as I can now tell the outside of the lens is cleaner than the inside!

Also got a pair of second hand fog lamps off Ebay as they looked like the have nice clear lenses to swap out for mine as they are a tad cloudy and scratched. So once they are in that should complete my light upgrade :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jojo
Made the most of the nice weather and got stuck in with the annoying bits that needed doing..
Fitted red dog bone mount (anyone wanna buy a yellow one? :p)
Fitted new sump cover
Fitted new clips to heat shield and engine covers to stop rattles
Relocated the catch can to where the relay box used to be
Changed the inlet manifold gasket
Replaced the injector seals
Fitted a new battery box
And sprayed my heat shield and catch can in black :)

Reactions: The Doctor and Gmac
Made the most of the nice weather and got stuck in with the annoying bits that needed doing..
Fitted red dog bone mount (anyone wanna buy a yellow one? :p)
Fitted new sump cover
Fitted new clips to heat shield and engine covers to stop rattles
Relocated the catch can to where the relay box used to be
Changed the inlet manifold gasket
Replaced the injector seals
Fitted a new battery box
And sprayed my heat shield and catch can in black :)
Nice! Take any pics? Looking at sorting out catch can and piping soon, and changing dv back to 710n

Fixed a roller runner on my new seat on Saturday and also helped my mate turn his Leon Cupra into a 1 seat weapon by taking all the interior out! So things should be a lot more equal when we go out for a spirited drive :wacko:

Then I went to the Morgan factory yesterday for a tour and all I can say is WOW - if you haven't been before and you appreciate excellent craftsmanship then I'd totally recommend a visit.

Reactions: The Doctor
Dropped the noggy S3 off to get its drivers door changed, and iron out the last of a few niggly problems with it, then its pretty much back on track as we had it 7 years ago now that its service history has been brought back kicking & crying back up to date...

I've just gone and purchased 4 x 18" Michelin Pilot Super Sports 92Y XL for my summer alloys.

Can't wait to get them fitted and try them out...

Now I just need to clean my wheels up that I've been avoiding since last year! lol

Reactions: s3 Hoggy
Stuck my new Brembo's on yesterday, not properly bedded in yet but liking the 'unburstable' feel of them.

I don't think I've ever had such a rock hard pedal!

Brembo by iaintookey, on Flickr

Brembo by iaintookey, on Flickr

Reactions: the_cueball, Sam_, The Doctor and 3 others
OK, this was technically done 3 days ago now, but on Saturday I treated the S3 to its spring clay, polish & wax.

Ooooh she feels so smooooth & silky now!

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Picked the car up today, the bodyshop done a cracking job. Painted the lower valance on my front bumper and smoothed the line around the number plate recess as well, looks much better.
20140416_154543.jpg

Reactions: rupe
dodged a speeding ticket

well not today, it was saturday, just south of ross on wye, nice piece of road with a f****g stupid 50 limit for a short part of it

just saw a hint of dayglo as i crested a hill and dived in behind an artic, and heavy on the brakes

went past the scamera van at about 55,

usaully get the ticket in a couple of days, so fingers crossed

no ticket yet

Picked the car up today, the bodyshop done a cracking job. Painted the lower valance on my front bumper and smoothed the line around the number plate recess as well, looks much better.
20140416_154543.jpg

does that guy on the right remind anyone else of the texas chain saw massacre?

plymouth buffing massacre doesn't sound quite so scary

only me then, better up the meds

cars looking good though

Hahaha, i think it's just the way he's holding his polisher (calling it a polisher because i have no idea if its a DA or orbital etc i dont know anything about these things!) wearing overalls is pretty common for anyone in a trade :p

He done a top job, fixed up my bumper which was a bit mashed up, made it better than new, took the rust out of the arch and a nice big scratch from some knob with a key. Buffed the whole car up, refurbed my headlight lenses and fog lights.

Now to start working on stage 2!

Getting more n more nervous/excited about my trip to B5 tomorrow.

Leaving at 7amish on the road trip, don't think I will sleep much tonight lol

Reactions: Adam P, Gops and Lavis89
Not today but after fitting my 2 piece discs, I noticed there was a light scraping noise from the front left when I was coasting and turning left, after the disc had warmed up. So took the wheels off for inspection and thought the disc was a bit close to the caliper for comfort!

5D3151DD-0E3C-4561-9019-FDF648F9FB6C_zpsgv9pcphe.jpg

Took the caliper off to see where it was catching after the discs got hot and expanded!

AEEA1EB9-C3FE-4593-8702-B28C555723E9_zps7tbwrwik.jpg

I think I may need to custom make some larger caliper spacers! The B5 ones were designed for LCR calipers, but it looks like my Brembo GT calipers may have less clearance?, they work perfectly fine with LCR 323mm solid discs, so this is a surprise! I will post my findings in a separate thread at a later date once I'm done.

I'm sure the 330mm needed carriers.. I remember bill selling carriers with his 330 discs.. Could be wrong.

dodged a speeding ticket

well not today, it was saturday, just south of ross on wye, nice piece of road with a f****g stupid 50 limit for a short part of it

just saw a hint of dayglo as i crested a hill and dived in behind an artic, and heavy on the brakes

went past the scamera van at about 55,

no ticket yet

Goodrich or pencraig by any chance? The road between ross and Monmouth. There always seems to be a mobile camera there. Nearly had me a few times.

Goodrich or pencraig by any chance? The road between ross and Monmouth. There always seems to be a mobile camera there. Nearly had me a few times.

i think its goodrich, my own fault as its an ideal place for the scamera's to park up, i usually slow down , but forgot this time

no ticket yet

Fingers crossed for you- I had my own fingers crossed the other month for 2 weeks; which I believe is the official amount of time they have to whack out in the post to you.

If you were to get caught by a few mph over the limit then I'd expect they'd send you on a speed awareness course where you can dodge the fixed penalty points and fine. All depends what your local police force and area has set up

Chris

Last year I received a speeding notice through the post from the Nottinghamshire police for exceeding the limit on the A614 (another crazy 50mph limit). My first one in 21yrs of driving - couldn't believe it! Then I looked at the date and time of the offence and realised that it was the morning that I'd dropped my wife's car off for a service and at the time I was waiting for her to come and pick me up from the garage (in my car...). So, the ticket was hers! What joy! Oh, that feeling as I dropped her off at the speed awareness course and waved goodbye as the sun shone down was amazing. Ha ha, loved it.

From memory I think you could choose to do the speed awareness course if you were up to 10% +3mph over the limit (ie max 58mph in a 50 limit area). Cost was about £65 I think.

Reactions: Dani_B19, jojo, kwistof and 2 others
Fingers crossed for you- I had my own fingers crossed the other month for 2 weeks; which I believe is the official amount of time they have to whack out in the post to you.

If you were to get caught by a few mph over the limit then I'd expect they'd send you on a speed awareness course where you can dodge the fixed penalty points and fine. All depends what your local police force and area has set up

Chris

thanks, the more fingers crossed the better :)

i have found the vans to be pretty quick in getting thier tax bills out
if they did get photo i hope there will be enough traffic in the picture to challange it

it was at this point I discovered the three bolts that secure the window motor onto the door were still sitting in the passenger foot well and the air turned blue

I've just gone and purchased 4 x 18" Michelin Pilot Super Sports 92Y XL for my summer alloys.

Can't wait to get them fitted and try them out...

Now I just need to clean my wheels up that I've been avoiding since last year! lol

92Y xl? How come your getting the XL?

it was at this point I discovered the three bolts that secure the window motor onto the door were still sitting in the passenger foot well and the air turned blue

Could be worse :) At least getting to the motor is reasonably easy. I thought my motor had gone when the window locked down (window moved freely) so I thought I'd try cleaning the original. No joy so I ordered a new one only to find out that the door switch needs to be plugged in for the motor to work and I'd been trying with it unplugged ***! New motor order was a bit of a waste. Now the OCDness in me wants to clean the drivers side one now as the passenger one goes up faster! haha

92Y xl? How come your getting the XL?

I was always under the impression that XL is needed on the lardy S3 tbh as I think that's also what Audi recommends.

Was a right PITA finding them in 92Y XL as no uk supplier has them in stock the 88 is only here at present so managed to find a garage who had the last 4 92y XL in stock.

On topic: I'll be off trying to sell my part worn PS3s today in preparation of getting the MPSS fitted and giving the summers a clean :)

Dropped the sump & cleaned it, fitted new oil pump & pick-up pipe, oil & filter. All done myself with the help of the stickies "how to's"

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to them!

Reactions: dusty
Finally found the source of the leak by my passenger rear window :)

I initially thought that the seal around the window was the culprit but I have sat in the car and got my Dad to put the garden hose on it and I couldn't see any water coming in at all. So today as it was dry out I decided to remove as much of the trim around the window as possible to see what else it could be.

I discovered a green hose running above the window that attaches to a white tray in the roof lining. It turns out this is the passenger side sunroof rear drain hose. So I guessed it might have a split in it, I managed to get the hose away from the roof but it looked in good condition. I tried blowing down it and hey presto it was blocked solid! So a quick mock up with the tyre inflator at 30psi and whoomph the blockage is gone :)

Checked it by water down the hose and could see it coming out via the rear bumper so all is good I think. Trim all back together and will see how it does in the next rain shower.

Secondly ordered a new large FMIC

Could be worse :) At least getting to the motor is reasonably easy. I thought my motor had gone when the window locked down (window moved freely) so I thought I'd try cleaning the original. No joy so I ordered a new one only to find out that the door switch needs to be plugged in for the motor to work and I'd been trying with it unplugged ***! New motor order was a bit of a waste. Now the OCDness in me wants to clean the drivers side one now as the passenger one goes up faster! haha

haha! I had it all apart because the cable had snapped so I replaced it all with a new part - the new part from the dealers includes the window clips, window runner guides, pulleys and cable all of which needs to be riveted back on the door sub-frame. The dealers don't offer just a cable and I didn't fancy a pattern part.

Anyway, like you, after I fitted it all back together but before I got the trim panel back on I tested the motor and it also didn't work and I got a bit worried - but figured it's probably a safety feature so that you can't run the pulley system without the trim panel attached

Picked up another clutch pedal a little while back, welded it up and decided as it's a nice sunny day to put some paint on it.

cue exciting picture of a pedal :cool:

Clutch_Pedal_Welded_zps66e83b8b.jpg

and black again

Clutch_Pedal_Welded_Painted_zpsf3980f80.jpg

and also raised a shelf in the garage so I could get my compressor under it and out the way.

Garage_Shelf_zps52734b78.jpg

:)

Reactions: jojo and Pubemammal
Gave the car a service on the weekend fuel, pollen, air and oil then today gave it a much needed clean today! Hopefully my B5 tip and filter will come in time for next weekend :) Fingers crossed the DVLA will get the documents sorted so the new plate and surrounds can go on.

Nothing interesting, i changed my rear discs and pads, discs were shot so put some standard pagid discs on and red stuff pads.

My MAP sensor boss turned up to weld on to my FMIC pipework though, got a little gift from china with it. Going to fit it all up one weekend, mark the pipes to drill and weld the bosses/takeoffs then finish the install when i get a chance, looking foward to finally getting it done. then it's just a matter of a aftermarket exhaust then i will be going to visit bill for stage 2.

20140417_231801.jpg

Reactions: ScottD3