A little help deciding for an Audi fan

im1madpotato

Reaction score
Okay, so i've been a long time lurker on the site, I now know so much about 8L Audis. But im horribly indecisive.

Im looking to buy a new car to replace my trusty old nissan. I have 10,000 nzd to spend. These are my options;

Pre-facelift s3 but with high mileage

Facelift A3 with auq 180hp engine (fwd, but ill have heaps left over for a map and supporting mods)

8P A3 3.2 (wary about dsg issues)

Or a B6 A4 3.0

Im really keen on the A4 but I like that theres so much you can do to the 8L.

Opinions are appreciated :)

Okay, so i've been a long time lurker on the site, I now know so much about 8L Audis. But im horribly indecisive.

Im looking to buy a new car to replace my trusty old nissan. I have 10,000 nzd to spend. These are my options;

Pre-facelift s3 but with high mileage

Facelift A3 with auq 180hp engine (fwd, but ill have heaps left over for a map and supporting mods)

8P A3 3.2 (wary about dsg issues)

Or a B6 A4 3.0

Im really keen on the A4 but I like that theres so much you can do to the 8L.

Opinions are appreciated :)

I'm curious what you actually need from the car? Clearly fuel economy isn't a priority, since you have included a 3.2 V6 on your list. Out of the 8L's, I'd probably avoid the 180 quattro, especially when an S3 will map to 250-260 from just a stage1 map, you will need to change a lot of things to reach the same level of power. 8P is the best handling car out the box from the list, 3.2 V6 have cam tensioner issues? B6 A4 3.0 TDI, very torquey engine, will probably be just as quick an a stage1 S3 if you get it remapped, and you get 30mpg+, but won't be as nimble as a hatchback.

I dont really have a specific want from the car, practicality etc isnt an issue im basically looking for something that can move relatively quickly, living with a 100hp nissan is tough :). I was looking at an a3 with 32kms. It was a TQS basically without quattro but with a k03s, has anyone got experience with these? We have a weird car market here so quattro a3s are a bit rare. Thanks for the help (especially jojo)

I dont really have a specific want from the car, practicality etc isnt an issue im basically looking for something that can move relatively quickly, living with a 100hp nissan is tough :). I was looking at an a3 with 32kms. It was a TQS basically without quattro but with a k03s, has anyone got experience with these? We have a weird car market here so quattro a3s are a bit rare. Thanks for the help (especially jojo)

Anything with a Q in it usually has quattro, so surprised it doesn't, very strange indeed. If the mileage(kilo mileage?) is low on the 3.2 V6, then I'd get that personally. Newer car, better handling out the box, and not bad performance, but engine tuning is limited. S3 is the looker of the bunch with it's flared arches, plus this is the 8L section after all, so we're all going to be a bit biased!