How easy to change the rods on your own?

bigpapasmurf

Reaction score
Just wondering if its possible/easy to change the rods on your own car, in your own garage? Im thinking sticking it up on ramps and cracking on? Ive got a good set of tools and a fair whack of mechanical prowess but dont want to start anything that I cant finish, especially if the car aint gonna be able to run. Is it a simple case of head off, sump off, pistons and rods out, split, add new rods and re-assemble? :blush:

I just finished re building my bam s3 but I removed the engine/gearbox as I wanted to completely disassemble my engine and measure all my service limits and do a full blue print for peace of mind.
Of course you don't have to when it comes to replacing just the rods but these engines are getting on a bit so would recommend a full re build if time permits and you don't need your car for a while.
It's not the worlds most difficult job BUT does requires a lot of patients.
And don't do it half ***** either. New rings and de glaze would be beneficial too while your at it.
Theres loads of build threads to soak up info on and great tips as well:)
My thread
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/199050-bam-s3-full-rebuild-hybrid-bt.html
Hope this helps:)

I have done a fair few rod swaps (including my own twice) with the engine still in... its easy enough for a competent DIY mechanic... biggest ballache is all the stuff you have to remove to get at the engine lol

<tuffty/>

Biggest ball ache I had was finding the ****** tool I put down 10secs ago lol swear they got legs lol

Reactions: JimmyH, Lavis89, <tuffty/> and 3 others