A question I never thought I would be asking...?

Vman

Reaction score
Here goes... found out recently that the missus is having a baby. (A surprise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but a nice one!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Don't really want to get rid of the S3 (nor does the missus) so have been looking at baby seats for it.

My question is has anyone bought a Britax Cost Tot Premium with isofix base and fitted it into an S3 ?

Just wondered how easy it was to get in and out of the back ? (I suspect complicated.) Did it mark the seats ? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Congratulations mate.
Baby seats aren't really a problem in the A3/S3 as you can perch on the back of the front seat while fitting/removing.
Make sure you buy a gripper mat if you want to protect the leather as it will leave indents in it over time.

Your problem is more likely to be finding a buggy that will fit in the boot...

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondered how easy it was to get in and out of the back ? (I suspect complicated.) Did it mark the seats ? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're going to struggle...

The S3 seat tip mechanisms are a nightmare...the seats are hard to slide forward, the seat backs are very deep and the access to the rear is poor...all to be done whilst trying to man-handle a small-thing into the rear in their seat.

Many people have conceded defeat...due to exactly that problem.

Although you may manage...will your good lady?

Be sure you will before you put your back out trying...

We are expecting in 4 weeks time.

We've got the mamas and papas A3 pramette and the car seat which goes with it. The pramette does not fit in the boot.

We will need to drop the 2/3 split forward, and then it will fit, leaving enough room in the boot for other bits and bobs. The base of the baby seat will stay on the seat behind the passenger seat.
You will find that even if you get a pram to fit in the boot, it will fill it leaving you precious little room for anything else.

We are going to see how we go, but I will only sell the car if it becomes a real chore.

You can get a buggy in the boot but little else.
Don't be tempted to buy an expensive designer buggy (like we did) just get the smallest lightest one you can find, they are far more useful.

Thanks for the comments.

Andymac where could I purchase a gripper mat from ?

As the Britax Cosy Tot baby seat doubles up as a baby carrier as well, was just going to buy the smallest fold away buggy possible. Saw one in the Mothercare catalog. Will sort this out over the next couple of months.

These are the ones we use and I think we got them off ebay, they not only protect your leather but also provide a much more solid base for the child seat.
Grip-It

A congragulations is in order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

First off congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Is this your first, if so, like me you'll probably think everything is just straightforward......after about 2 days you realise its not !
Getting a specifi baby seat is ok, but often my lad will fall asleep as soon as he's in the car, and one bit of advice I'd give, is when they're sleeping, leave them sleeping ! Moving him from a very cosy car seat to a cold buggy will wake him / her, then all hell breaks loose as soon as you've eiher arrived at your destination, or as soon as you get home......not good.
Luckily my wife has a Golf Gti 5 door that she drives, to which she has a 3 in one type mamas and pappas contraption. The child seat comes straight out of her car and into the chassis of the pram, which fits in the boot with no worries in her car, which means the boy stays asleep.
It doesn't however fit in mine, unless I drop the seat (the child seat still fits fine) but it would be better to have the seat down with a pram chassis poking thru, than a crying baby every time you leave the car. (trust me, he'll do enough of that without you encouraging him!)
I have never found it too hard getting in and out with him in the child seat though
After 6 months you'll be able to get him in a buggy, thus just find one that fits in the boot for then.
My lad is now 4 and half months old, but I will be on the hunt for a samll fold up boggy anytime soon.....
The good news is that my wife dosent use my car as its too much hassle currently !
Best of luck, and hope it all goes well.

Yes agree with Matt, I'd forgotton about the first 4-6 months. We got the same 3 in one M & P clip in seat and although the buggy part is quite big it did fit in the boot of the A3 (with the handle part folded down, so just check which model you go for and try them out in the car park.
Good Luck!

I've just tried puitting the chassis of the pram into the boot, but with the handle folded down and it fits easily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif
Cant believe i didn't reliase it before.
Next problem is do i tell my wife it fits, coz then she'll be after using my car...........

Congrats.
I have a 2 year old that is always going in the Teletuby car (the name is due to the 6th CD in my deck not the colour) I use Towels to stop the indentation of the seat on the leather but remember to condition the leather first, everything helps. I am sure the gripper mats work better though.
As Ess Three states the biggest problem is moving the heavey seat forward whilst carrying child in hand - this is very tricky for me, impossible for the wife (but then she drives another car - with 4 doors)