EM TuningAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Audi S3 washer bottle leak

It has been losing liquid for a little while but now it's all gone in a day. I have been working 7 days so hadn't had time to look until today had the bumper off and all the pipes are fine the leak appears to be under the bottle? I couldn't get see any closer but assume the arch liner is the next thing to come off? I can't see a split or where it's come from inside the bottle but it has to be low down as I only filled it a quater. Seems like a right pig to remove the whole bottle I love these little jobs... Sticking the bumper back on in the dark with a pool of water around me on a cold Sunday night with a still leaking car added to the experience I think

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Check o/s headlight washer and pipes, common place to leak

1st Gear

Status
    I had hoped it would be a dodgey headlight washer but they both work and it all appears fine. Bit of a pain the problem seems to be the actual bottle or something attached to it that I can't yet see

S3 Drift King!

Status
    The seal on the motor for the headlamp washer jets, it's gone on mine, but I've yet to find time to fix it, it's a headlamp out job.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for that I just searched headlight washer pump and it brought up your thread it does sound exactly the same as my problem. Hopefully I can get a chance to have a look next weekend. I ran out of light so didn't get as far as removing my headlight earlier. All my searches were turning up threads on a4's about removing the arch liner from my old searches.
    Thanks again nicer having a bit of direction now!

A4 2.0T FSI engine knackered!

Status
    If you need a bottle, let me know as I have one for sale. Joe (who lives around the corner) had the headlight washer motor & seal off it from me, but rest of the bottle is complete (with the windscreen motor & seal).

Ebay link through the ASN classifieds -

Classifieds: 2001Y AUDI S3 8L FACELIFT 1.8T Quattro BREAKING FOR SPARES

Located Solihull, near Birmingham

Alistair
    Last edited by Big Al; 10th November 2013 at 21:41.
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    Check the pump is seated correctly. It just pops out and can cause a fast leak.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

1st Gear

Status
    Had a chance to look at this today and headlight pump is fine... So guessing it must be the main pump and how tight it all is looking like the bottle is going to need to come out. Don't suppose anyone has attempted this?
    From looking I assume the arch liner needs to come out? Think I might order a complete bottle second hand to have a look at.

3rd Gear

Status
    bumper off and head light out, cant access it from wheel arch.
    mark
    S3 2003........REVO..........Stage 1...........218G/S.......÷..........°8..........=..........272bhp ......368Nm.....271 ft lbs

1st Gear

Status
    Had the bumper off and headlight out but the screw on the left mount comes from the wing so all that's visible if the threaded end in the bay. Looks like a right pain!

3rd Gear

Status
    ye you have to move slacken off the stuff on the wing behind the washer bottle, take the nut off and wiggle the bottle out there is also a bolt/stud on the wing behind the light iirc, it is a pain to do.
    S3 2003........REVO..........Stage 1...........218G/S.......÷..........°8..........=..........272bhp ......368Nm.....271 ft lbs

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallm0nkey View Post
    It has been losing liquid for a little while but now it's all gone in a day. I have been working 7 days so hadn't had time to look until today had the bumper off and all the pipes are fine the leak appears to be under the bottle? I couldn't get see any closer but assume the arch liner is the next thing to come off? I can't see a split or where it's come from inside the bottle but it has to be low down as I only filled it a quater. Seems like a right pig to remove the whole bottle I love these little jobs... Sticking the bumper back on in the dark with a pool of water around me on a cold Sunday night with a still leaking car added to the experience I think
    Hi there,
    Just to add to your post incase it helps at all. I has same problem a while ago & took it to indie & they found it was leaking when rear wiper washer was on & found disconnected pipe under washer bottle, then found additional leak under air filter housing in wiring box, reconnected tested all ok. Thats their report

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the tips everyone need another day now to hopefully have a final crack at it...

I think this leak has to be the bottle or where the pump is sealed the water is leaking as soon a I top it up which leads me to believe its before the pump. I think I will give the whole lot a good look over as my rear wipe hasn't worked since I had the car but doesn't appear to be leaking I have tried using the jets front and back then looking for water but nothing was showing. Then one day this leak appeared!

1st Gear

Status
    Another little update finished work a little early so loosened off the pas filler and moved to one side just one Allen key. Then the black plastic thing next to it? Two 10mm bolts turns out the washer pump is fine and not leaking either.... Pipes appear dry but the leak is still there and emptying quickly. Didn't fancy sticking the car back together in the dark again so left it for now. Almost seems as thought the bottle has sprung a leak somehow :/ So tomorrow I'll get started early and remove the bottle and try to figure it out once and for all. Although I have tracked down and sorted another leak I didn't know about under the air filter housing so not all bad.

1st Gear

Status
    Got to the bottom of it today! Managed to get the whole bottle out by removing bumper and headlight plus loosening the pas fluid filler and the black box next to it. Had the remove the lower end of the intercooler pipe was still a tight fit but it does come out. My bottle has a small crack on the bottom underneath near the headlight washer pump. Probably only 10mm long and barely visible spotted it by the water mark at first. Didn't have a spare bottle to hand so heated it up and melted the plastic over the split then glued it all up. Just to bodge it up for now until I swap it properly.

When I get the new bottle I'll do a bit of a guide to removal as it isn't actually that hard now I've done it looked more of a pain then it was.

Thanks for all the advice on here!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Big Al further up the thread has one for sale I'm pretty sure, I've nabbed the motor though.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400