engine codes

deac666

Reaction score
Hi all, I need a replacement engine for my 2002 a3 tqs 6 speed ary engine code. I want to swap the whole engine out ancillaries turbo etc.

I have been told apy, amk, bam codes will work but what other engine codes will work???

Ive seen some low millage agu, aum, auq engines but six speed. can I just swap my clutch flywheel and gearbox over??

I want to do engine out engine in plug and play. don't really want to be modding things to make it work unless its a cheapish fix.

Ive read that there is a difference in rods and ports on different engines making them better but the car is a dialy driver and need to get it sorted asap.

The engine is ready to come out now so I need to get an engine soon as poss.

Cheers jon

More or less any 20v transverse engine will do but the easiest swap I suspect would be an AUM as this is a 19mm pinned engine with VVT and SAI which I believe yours has...

APY/AGU are non VVT so you would have to swap the tensioner over...

The water hard pipe that runs from the water pump housing to heater matrix pipes is different on K04 turbo'd engines to K03 turbo'd engines so you will need to swap that over... you may also need to swap over the knock sensors as the earlier non wideband engines are different...

You can essentially use an engine from any of the VAGs with a 1.8t transverse engine in it.. SEAT, VW, Skoda and Audi

<tuffty/>

thanks for that tuffty, is swapping the tensioner a big job?? and is the water pipe a big job also the knock sensor.

would these jobs just involve swapping the parts from my old engine over if I bought the apy/agu motor

With the apy agu I take that they have the k04 turbo from what your saying is this going to be a better setup to use over my k03 (I belive that my turbo is from a cupra r so is it likely to be k03)

But the easiest swap being the aum motor will this be ok with my six speed 4wd?

Cheers jon

You want to swap the turbo too? bit more involved swapping to a K04....

<tuffty/>

So a complete aum engine including turbo would go straight in???

Cheers jon

If by straight in you mean minimal effort then as far as I am aware the AUM fits the bill in context

<tuffty/>