Can I SAND the back bumper?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, just curiouse but does anyone know if I can use ordinary sand paper to sand down a thin piece of the rear bumper? ( if anyone's seen the Quads it's for the right outlet) it just needs a lil trim. Or can u offer anything better to use?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, just curiouse but does anyone know if I can use ordinary sand paper to sand down a thin piece of the rear bumper? ( if anyone's seen the Quads it's for the right outlet) it just needs a lil trim. Or can u offer anything better to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use wet&Dry... If theres large edges or something, then emery cloth, then wet&dry.

Rich

yup, wet and dry. Dont use sandpaper as its way too harsh and you'll spend ages trying to polish it out.

dont be tempted to rub too hard either, or you'll have the same problem.

as when sanding any plastic, it will turn a lighter colour when you sand it (i.e. grey in your case), so it'll need a good polish to restore the original bumper colour.

[ QUOTE ]
ok so what is Wet&Dry? you guys seem familiar with it? =) would I be able to get it from any decent home store or somethin? and what is it described as used for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wet&dry is normally available from car places like halfords .etc. Mainly used for car bodywork..Its fine abbrasive paper, than you can use wet, and dry! Its best to se is wet as it gives a smoother finish.

Rich

it looks like black paper and comes in a number of grades, its good for flatting off paint etc.

This is the area I'm thinking of working on, would Wet&dry or dremmel be ok to use here?

Sand.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
If I was doing it I would use some small metal files then smooth it off with sand paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said, it looks like you need to take too much off to use wet & dry and too little to use a fine saw... hard to tell without having a look at it in real life though.

Thats why i suggested emery cloth... Its easier to work with than sand paper. Once youve rmoved it, use wet&dry to 'finish' it.

[ QUOTE ]
cool, thanks. BTW have any of you done any bumper chopping, grinding work? Just curiouse cause it sounds like u guys have used the tools before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've done loads of work like this before on my car. Metal files are my prefered tools LOL

emery cloth is a very harsh sandpaper designed for use on metal and is black in colour.

there are a number of grades of files and a number of profiles. I know homebase do a set of 3 for about 10 quid and they are ok.

The roughest grade of file is a rasp or b@stard file. The best ones for you to get are probally the half round one so you have a curved side and a flat side.