Advice needed for K04 conversion

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am wondering what is needed to do a k04 conversion to my agu, I was planning on making a start over the winter on collecting the parts and then after Xmas/new year I'd start the build.

from what I've seen these are the parts I'll need. Please add anything I have missed out / over looked and need to be aware of.

turbo, manifold, down pipe, new tip, 3" MAF housing, bigger injectors, water and oil lines, heat shielding,

this is all I can think of at this moment

I thought it was just a direct fit replacing the k03s. Would just need the required setup.
I could be wrong and happy to be corrected so I'll be keeping a close eye on this as I, too, am wanting to upgrade in the future.

Although mines an A4 so could be totally different.

Last edited:
I thought it was just a direct fit replacing the k03s. Would just need the required setup.
I could be wrong and happy to be corrected so I'll be keeping a close eye on this as I, too, am wanting to upgrade in the future

K03 and K04 on transverse are completely different turbos...

OP... all of the stuff you have listed but make sure the MAF housing is a VR6 one... check out Prawns build thread for some info as he has done this before going to the TFSI turbo

Decent FMIC is missing from your list, injectors should be of a suitable type as the ME3.8 is a little particular...

Check your fuel pressure as the pumps on these old cars seem to be dying off from age (seen quite a few across the VAG range do this)

<tuffty/>

No idea where I got my info from. More research to be done!

Inline K03/K04 (A4's etc) are same fitment but K04 not the same as transverse K04... there is a K03 fitment turbo called the K04-001 but not many peeps bother as there is an abundance of actual K04's or if sticking to K03 frame then hybrids are the way forward..

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty, yes forgot I was going to get a welly cooler and 2.5" piping and yes the vr6 maf housing.

Reading on here, a K04-015, injectors and fuel pressure regulator from an S3/TT should be good for 245. More than that I'm needing uprated clutch/flywheel. I would think, manifold, cat and exhaust system will need to be upgraded too and better brakes.

My apologies to the OP for taking over the thread :)

FPR is the same on A3's and S3's (3bar) so all good... a decent K04 with the right bits on a good engine will do 280hp

<tuffty/>

Lol go for it, I had a new clutch 6 months ago when I wasn't thinking of going k04 now I'll prob need to do that also as I'm not sure if mine will be up for the job.

could anyone tell me if the Valeo smf kit I had fitted will handle much power above what I have already at 187bhp 227 ft