Chris NottBadger5
    Lord Of The Rings

Status

Exclamation Defeated ECU’s ??

Hi guys

Its looking like i may need to replace my ECU

I've seen a few ECU’s for sale saying that they are immobiliser defeated so they are plug and play.

What I'm wondering is what happens about the dash as when you turn on the ignition, wouldn't the immobiliser part in the dash try and communicate with the ECU and when it doesn't find the immobiliser part in the ecu stop the car from starting?

Or am i way off...lol
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Immo defeat just turns the immobiliser off essentially but the new ECU can be re-coded if required... personally I would prefer to retain the immobiliser

There is no issues with the dash and no lights stay on with immo defeat

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    where abouts are you? Ecu swaps are something I can do quite easily the correct way. Immo defeat I only really do to diagnose issues.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Immo defeat just turns the immobiliser off essentially but the new ECU can be re-coded if required... personally I would prefer to retain the immobiliser

There is no issues with the dash and no lights stay on with immo defeat

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that tuffty mate

I've always thought that the immobiliser part of the car was split into two and so when you turn the key, the key chip would need to sync with half the immobiliser in the ecu and half in the cluster.

From what your saying its more like the car has two immobilisers (one in the ecu and one in the cluster) that are synced together ?

Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    where abouts are you? Ecu swaps are something I can do quite easily the correct way. Immo defeat I only really do to diagnose issues.

Thanks mate

But I'm in london so a bit far from you.

I've heard its easy enough to program it in using vag can commander 1.5 but I've also read some horror stories....lol
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The immobiliser is in the cluster, and tells the ECU its allowed to start the engine if the key is valid.

So key is synced with cluster, and then cluster is paired up with the ECU.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Oh ok.

Wouldn't that then mean that immobiliser would still be effective even with a ecu defeat, as if you tried to start the car without the key then the cluster wouldn't tell the ecu to start?

1st Gear

Status
    With the immobiliser defeated, the ECU won't care what clocks are connected to it, the clocks don't even have to be there. It's the ignition switch that tells the engine to start not the clocks, and the ECU reacts accordingly by checking with the clocks whether it's meant to be running or not. With the immobiliser defeated, it just doesn't bother checking.
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    exactly. With it defeated the Cluster could say "DO NOT START" or even nothing at all, and the ECU would ignore it and allow the engine to start anyway.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Thanks mate I get it now

if I get one without the defeat is it easy enough to get it to work using the cheap vag can commander / leads ?