Instrument cluster problems (half work-half not)

dejantomik

Reaction score
Hi

I have Audi A3 2001 1.9 tdi my instrument cluster not work properly. Half work half not. No lights, no temperature, no fuel, no acceleration, no speed meter only lights for battery, abs, esp, immobilizer etc.

I don't know what to do?

I want to buy another one (second hand) and I have VCDS with HEX+CAN but don't know how to coding?

Anyone to help me?

Thanks

I'm experiencing the same or similar, every now and then, and it's not temperature dependant, but it will occasionally work, all dials and lights. But for the majority of the time it's dead. Just park brake light and battery, maybe some others too but no dials

I'm on a mission to clean up the engine/ engine bay on my Audi, and in doing so hope to re-secure all earths and faulty cables... I've heard that this can be the source of the issue.
Check all fuses... And also the connection to the cluster. If all else fails it's possibly the cluster it's self.

If you get to the bottom of this, it would be really appreciated if you could post your findings. And I'll remember to do the same if I beat you to it.

I was check all fuses and all it's OK. Also cables it's OK.

Another thing I was take out my cluster and plugged in to another Audi A3 (cluster of this audi work perfect) but same problem like in my car.

For that I want to buy another one and coding myself but I don't know how with VCDS.

Are anyone try this ?
Ross-Tech: VCDS: Immobilizer 2 Instrument Cluster Swapping

Thanks

Last edited:
Where are you based I can help you if your local or if you buy the vcds from Nhn I can help with your pin code

VCDS can do the programming, but you need the SKC for the new cluster, and probably the SKC for the old one as well to unlock the ECU as a 2001 will have IMMO3.

Vagtacho can get you the SKC for the new cluster easily enough, but i'm not sure about the ECU. Some ECU's wont allow EEPROM reading when in IMMO lockout in which case you'll need to have the EEPROM read out manually.