AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By voorhees
  • 1 Post By crazy88
  • 1 Post By thegoal007
  • 3 Post By cecilthesausage
  • 4 Post By cecilthesausage

Thread: S3 8l owners would you swap to a B6 S4?

  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    bristol, uk
    Posts
    663

    S3 8l owners would you swap to a B6 S4?

    If it wasn't a financial issue would you swap?

    Anyone driven one?
    I've had a tt 1.8t 225 remapped, mkv r32 would love to tick off the experience of a s4 4.2 v8
    Although looking at s3 8l as some good examples and a lot of car for several £ks
    But thinking if I had the extra would I, should I
    Researching and potentially looking for a nice S4 B6
    Previous cars: Modded Toyota Celica 1.8 Vvtli, modded mk1 TT, standard mkv r32 dsg
    Current: family wagon diesel

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,607
    My mate has one I use when I want to,its not very clean but the decat V8 is pure unadulterated sex.
    I pulled up at lights and a 370z pulled up in the next lane with his V6 revving away,I said to my mate 'awww how cute he has six cylinders'
    then revved the 4.2 litres of beast,the Nissan drivers face was funny.

    I don't know about swapping from an S3 to S4 as you will lose ten miles per gallon and as a daily driver that could be a lot of money.
    I could do it now as my current Golf is quite thirsty.

  4. #3
    crazy88's Avatar
    Loving the anonymity

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,722
    As above, I would purely for the noise. A v8 is a must in any mans life at some point. I think one day i'll own the b6 s4...maybe in a few years.
    m19lte likes this.


  5. #4
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    bristol, uk
    Posts
    663
    That's the thing it's becoming in a price bracket where you can still pick up a decent 4.2 v8 with audi German solid finish

    I like the understated looks of them but yet a little more to the edges compared to normal cars like the s3
    Researching and potentially looking for a nice S4 B6
    Previous cars: Modded Toyota Celica 1.8 Vvtli, modded mk1 TT, standard mkv r32 dsg
    Current: family wagon diesel

  6. #5
    thegoal007's Avatar
    Another S3 owner....

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    712
    You ask......If it wasn't a financial issue would you swap?

    In that case, in a blink of any YES.

    remember your questions because I am disregarding the high maint. costs (not forgetting insurance), and excessive petrol drinking !
    AVLO likes this.
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

  7. #6
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    I have an RS 4 with a revolution intake and when you give it some beans it's like an orchestra in your ears..... Bwaaaaaaaaarp....
    jojo, coatesy and AVLO like this.

  8. #7
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,833
    If running costs is not an issue, then yes, I would make the swop. But for now, my S3 is adequate for my needs in terms of performance and handling?


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  9. #8
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,281
    No I wouldn't , I'd save up for longer and get an rs4 !!!!

    :-D
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  10. #9
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,607
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    No I wouldn't , I'd save up for longer and get an rs4 !!!!

    :-D
    The one with 'issues'

  11. #10
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    All cars have there issues...

  12. #11
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,607
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilthesausage View Post
    All cars have there issues...
    Yes your right,no offence meant Cecil,RS4 is a beauty

  13. #12
    s3Easty's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    LEEDS, West Yorks
    Posts
    103
    Im sat on the fence with this one..iv driven the s4 and they are awesome, and like the guys above said the noise is fantastic.
    Spose if you want something more hot hatch then the s3 is the car but if you want a luxo barge that will still put some newer fast cars to shame then the s4s defo the one to do it..
    All depends what you want from the car..If its just an itch you want to scratch then do it..you can always go back to the s3 after..
    Last edited by s3Easty; 2nd November 2013 at 09:25.

  14. #13
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Yes your right,no offence meant Cecil,RS4 is a beauty
    None taken...
    But you definitely need to go in with your eyes open.... DRC is a couple of grand fix on its own...

  15. #14
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by s3Easty View Post
    Im sat on the fence with this one..iv driven the s4 and they are awesome, and like the guys above said the noise is fantastic.
    Spose if you want something more hot hatch then the s3 is the car but if you want a luxo barge that will still put some newer fast cars to shame then the s4s defo the one to do it..
    All depends what you want from the car..If its just an itch you want to scratch then do it..you can always go back to the s3 after..
    Just have both.... Problem sorted
    jojo, Westy, m19lte and 1 others like this.

  16. #15
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilthesausage View Post
    None taken...
    But you definitely need to go in with your eyes open.... DRC is a couple of grand fix on its own...

    wo wo wo!

    im currently waiting until next year when I'm 25 to buy the rs4 as Insurance says no!

    Whats these problems you lot speak of........... Drc couple grand , say what!????

    i thought the rs4 Cecil has, we're meant to be quite reliable performance saloons? Am I wrong?
    i currently play an awesome lottery having an e46 m3 smg....... Only a matter of time until the gbox pump implodes on that, I thought the audi rs4 had no such extremely expensive problems?

    educate me on the subject people please?
    p.s I want a red one too! :-D

    Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  17. #16
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    wo wo wo!

    im currently waiting until next year when I'm 25 to buy the rs4 as Insurance says no!

    Whats these problems you lot speak of........... Drc couple grand , say what!????

    i thought the rs4 Cecil has, we're meant to be quite reliable performance saloons? Am I wrong?
    i currently play an awesome lottery having an e46 m3 smg....... Only a matter of time until the gbox pump implodes on that, I thought the audi rs4 had no such extremely expensive problems?

    educate me on the subject people please?
    p.s I want a red one too! :-D

    Sean
    found it

    DRC = Dynamic Ride Control


    The shock absorbers are cross connected with fluid via a valve block. It allowes the suspension to be soft(er) when in a straight line for a better ride but stiffen up for better handling.
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  18. #17
    Scullies's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    No I wouldn't , I'd save up for longer and get an rs4 !!!!

    :-D
    What he said, then save up some more and get a supercharger for it

  19. #18
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    They have a few issues which you need to look out for... The DRC was a call for 5 years or 70000 miles... They are on the third generation now... It's used in the RS 6 as well... Lots of people just change it out for KW V3,s... £1700... Carbon build up is a common problem as well on TFSI engines zaps your horsepower.... That's about £600 up over to sort... Exhaust flaps stick shut or open... Vac pipes are an issue as well... If you buy a stinker you could well have to put 4,5 grand into it to put it right...

  20. #19
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    What he said, then save up some more and get a supercharger for it
    £10,000 for a supercharger.... Big bucks

  21. #20
    Scullies's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilthesausage View Post
    £10,000 for a supercharger.... Big bucks
    must be worth every penny tho, MUST BE

  22. #21
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilthesausage View Post
    They have a few issues which you need to look out for... The DRC was a call for 5 years or 70000 miles... They are on the third generation now... It's used in the RS 6 as well... Lots of people just change it out for KW V3,s... £1700... Carbon build up is a common problem as well on TFSI engines zaps your horsepower.... That's about £600 up over to sort... Exhaust flaps stick shut or open... Vac pipes are an issue as well... If you buy a stinker you could well have to put 4,5 grand into it to put it right...
    thats a lot that could go wrong on what is still approx a £18-19k car..........
    bit disappointed now, I'm thinking £3-4k more and get a c63 amg????

    Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  23. #22
    cecilthesausage's Avatar
    ...It's Never Finished...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    933
    I wouldn't be disappointed.... Just find a sorted one....There an awesome freakin machine....
    You can get them for 15 Grand now.... There's a white one for sale for 13 and a half now I think....

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    greater mcr
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    My mate has one I use when I want to,its not very clean but the decat V8 is pure unadulterated sex.
    I pulled up at lights and a 370z pulled up in the next lane with his V6 revving away,I said to my mate 'awww how cute he has six cylinders'
    then revved the 4.2 litres of beast,the Nissan drivers face was funny.

    I don't know about swapping from an S3 to S4 as you will lose ten miles per gallon and as a daily driver that could be a lot of money.
    I could do it now as my current Golf is quite thirsty.

    Haha, how cute a 6cyl ;-)
    2002 bam s3, 3" custom turbo back/decat, unicorn MD custom map with pops n bangs ;-), b5 tip, s2k filter, forge 008, uprated intercooler, more to come :-)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Been offered a swap deal...For Black Edition A3 Would you do it??
    By DaveyClark in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th August 2013, 21:46
  2. would you swap.........
    By a4 cabrio in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 5th May 2011, 20:22
  3. Would you swap this 172 for this A3..?
    By Spec in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12th June 2009, 14:20
  4. How low would you go.....?
    By [Dave B] in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24th June 2003, 15:21
  5. If you had the option would you?
    By gtdog in forum Other Brands & Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th April 2003, 09:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO