Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

car cut out wont start :(

Was driving down motorway other day doing bout 60 put my foot down to pass a car
    And the car just cut out tryed starting it it starts but dies straight away the only light
    On the dash is the battery light.
    Went back to it yesterday started it it ticked over but wouldn't rev up after bout 2 mins cut
    Out with battery light on again
    Any 1 got any idea what it could b

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Was driving down motorway other day doing bout 60 put my foot down to pass a car
    And the car just cut out tryed starting it it starts but dies straight away the only light
    On the dash is the battery light.
    Went back to it yesterday started it it ticked over but wouldn't rev up after bout 2 mins cut
    Out with battery light on again
    Any 1 got any idea what it could b
    could be the alternator?
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    id get it checked for codes
    even tho the eml aint on it may still have a code stored.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Sounds like the crank sensor , need to scan for any codes really...

Neutral

Status
    Will try and scan later when get home from work it will stay started if i keep the rev on but revs up n down then stalls if i let off rev or rev it to much

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Crank sensor seems likely, but check for codes.

Battery light is normal so long as it comes on after the engine stalls. If its on with the engine running something isnt right.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    Just make sure you have fuel in before taking it to a garage and looking silly! I've had 2 a3's that said it was on quarter when the tank was dry as a pancake! Very unlikely but on off chance. Get some cables to another car and see how long it goes for. Leave the cables on for 10 minutes. If it's still running your alternators probley packed in! Or maybe your battry is goosed!

Neutral

Status
    Ok up date i got my vcds out n turns out its out of date so wouldn't work changed crank sensor still doing the same. Thoght i had a break through when i unplugged the maf sensor it started running fine so went bought a new one changed it started running fine but had no boost seemed to just make the sound of an hoover but didn't go anywhere thought it mite just need resetting so took battery off for 5mins n now it wont start again anymore ideas trying to get hold of vag com to look for codes

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    so its a copy of vcds ?

is the new MAF oem or aftermarket ?

Neutral

Status
    Vcds was just a cheap one off ebay the maf was a oem bosch 1 from gsf would the maf stop the turbo spooling up? I have noticed the traction control light has come on but might b that i unplugged the maf to keep it started

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    no but the maf can cause problems but it would still boost with maf unplugged so cant be that
    it really needs codes reading to save spending on things its not.

3rd Gear

Status
    just replaced my maf as tc light was on , the car would not run at all with the maf unpluged..... also had to clear the ecu with vcds before the new maf would run correctly

dont know if disconnecting the battery for 5mins would clear the stored faults.

try downloading vcds lite again and c if it works,,,,,,,, daft question have you checked all boost...intercooler pipes are intact and connected?

mark

Neutral

Status
    Hi mark did your car stop boosting aswell b4 u changed the maf sensor.
    I tryed few things today but still no joy put the stock dv on swap the n75 valve then did the n249 delete checked all pipes look visually good no cracks or anything got a mate Cuming down tomoz with a diagnostic machine but not sure it gnna b any good as its just a cheap fault finder not vagcom or ross tech

3rd Gear

Status
    there was no kick in the back around 3000rpm, just when throught the rev range like a non turbo car.

mark

Neutral

Status
    Yeh sounds same turbo seems to whistle but doesn't go anywhere

Neutral

Status
    Ok checked for codes it came up with maf sensor and check d.v cleared. Changed maf for new 1 replaced d.v with stock cleared faults both cleared traction control went off car wouldn't start after 10 mins of trying to start it started came up with maf again could i have a brand new dodgy part or do i need proper vagcom to clear this fault any help would much appreciated

6th Gear

Status
    I would probably try using a genuine vcds cable. I think bez suggested this already.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Neutral

Status
    He did pal just wondering if anyone new for definitely if i needed vcds or would i be wasting my money buying 1 just found this 1 would this do it

Gumtree
    Thanks in advance

3rd Gear

Status
    looks like a chinese cable, did you try downloading vcds lite its free you would still need a cable under a tenner on ebay

mark

Neutral

Status
    Will try downloading tonight i do have a cable but not sure if it will work wat cable is it i need

3rd Gear

Status
    first one i used
    VAG GROUP USB COM PORT OBD2 II KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE LEAD WORK VCDS-LITE /409

just do a check on ebay

Neutral

Status
    Trying vcds light now an all its saying when clicking on read engine is no response from controller

5th Gear

Status
    Do you have the correct ftdi cable? No response is usually cable or ecu/fuse. Try turning the ignition on first, then plug the obd side in then plug the usb side it.
    Also have you set up the correct COM port in VCDS options?

My money is on a big boost leak, like a hose has popped off or split.

Neutral

Status
    Tryed it all ways mate im guessing my cables mite b a did 1 it says vag106 on side of it i cant hear any leaks or anything im hopeing that when i get a proper vcds that it clears the faults for gud puzzling me

2nd Gear

Status
    Tryed it all ways mate im guessing my cables mite b a did 1 it says vag106 on side of it i cant hear any leaks or anything im hopeing that when i get a proper vcds that it clears the faults for gud puzzling me
    have you checked the connector at maf common fail tuffty put a thread somwere lol not sure we're it is!
    Audi s3 8l 2003 silver,brembo brakes,custom front mount intercooler,forged rods,acl race bearings,3inch tip,forge 007p green spring 1 shim,5mm hubcentric spacers,pipewerx 3inch down pipe/200cell race cat,2.75 miltek back non resonated,new piston rings,n249delete,pcv venting too atmosphere,neuspeed quick shifter,uprated clutch/pressure plate...large port agu head,inline fuel pump

work left/relentless v3 manifold/wmi/blue haldex/antilag/launch controll/custom map!!!!!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Big airleak maybe?

If it runs without the MAF and doesnt run with it, that suggests the MAF is feeding back incorrect info. This is sometimes because its faulty, but other times it can be because no air is flowing thru the maf due to a split pipe somewhere.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darren t View Post
    have you checked the connector at maf common fail tuffty put a thread somwere lol not sure we're it is!
    Wat like the actual connector or the wires mate

2nd Gear

Status
    Wat like the actual connector or the wires mate
    yes mate the pins inside connector come loose I had this problem fault was high signal input for maf! Mine looked ok aswell too be fair!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darren t View Post
    yes mate the pins inside connector come loose I had this problem fault was high signal input for maf! Mine looked ok aswell too be fair!
    Worth a try thanks for ur help
    The car is starting now but traction control lights on n no boost when i clear the fault with my mate cheap ebay tool it wont start but traction control lights off then after a few mins of trying it starts then traction comes bk on this is with maf pluged in aswell

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Instead of just clearing them, why not tell us what the fault codes are?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Instead of just clearing them, why not tell us what the fault codes are?
    Its just a cheap ebay tool all its saying is maf sensor to high but its a brand new maf did say check d.v but that's cleared andnot come back

1st Gear

Status
    Could it be the tip is split in half down by the turbo sucking air bypassing the maf?
    2002 s3 silver, BAM, lcr Brembos ds2500 pads, Braided hoses, forge 008 dv, stack boost gauge, power flex dog bone bush/wishbone bushes, forge boost hoses, B5 tip, B5 remap, toyo fmic

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwdan80 View Post
    Could it be the tip is split in half down by the turbo sucking air bypassing the maf?
    Fair point i will have a look i did take the tip off at the turbo end but didn't bring it up i was testing to see if the turbo shaft hadn't shaped all seems to b fine with the turbo it is a badger5 tip so don't tink it will have split but worth a try cheers

Neutral

Status
    Ok got a code for u all any 1 got any idea wat it is its Cumming up pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve p1297

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok got a code for u all any 1 got any idea wat it is its Cumming up pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve p1297
    hole somwere between turbo and inletmanifold check all intercooler pipes and boost pipe too dv!