S3 - under damped or under sprung?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So a thought a crossed my mind a few days ago. Are the S3 8Ls under/over damped or under/over sprung?

The standard handling mod on here seems to be to do the B8s and H&R or Eibach springs, but that's usually because the dampers are older and wouldn't take a lowered spring for very long.

What are the cons of just doing one or the other?

Out the box they are ok, a safe and comfortable setup, but the dampers seem to go off around 40k miles+, springs snap over time due to corrosion what ever the mileage! and it's a common problem on most modern cars these days!

Bilstein shocks are more damped than OEM shocks, this give the car better control of its suspension, but at the expense of ride comfort, it still feels OEM though, not overly firm. They will work fine with standard springs.

Lowered springs usually have higher spring rates, as you have lowered the car, there is less suspension travel, so the springs are harder to cope with it. This makes them more springy lets say, so the dampers need to do more work. OEM shocks are ok when fresh, but matched to a set of lowering springs, they will just deteriorate quicker. Uprated items like the Bilsteins would obviously be a better shock absorber to control these lowering springs.

Cheers Joe. I replaced everything (shocks, springs, drop links) about two years ago, spending over a K on that as just didn't want to go down the modding route. Fresh as a daisy still, as protected the new stuff and keep it clean. But now starting to think I should have gone B8s and H&Rs.

R32 rear ARB is first on the list and will see how I get on with that. The thing really does roll heavily but spending another K on it is just a bit too much of a dump (pays off a years mortgage overpayment, which I'd rather do tbh!).

Cheers Joe. I replaced everything (shocks, springs, drop links) about two years ago, spending over a K on that as just didn't want to go down the modding route. Fresh as a daisy still, as protected the new stuff and keep it clean. But now starting to think I should have gone B8s and H&Rs.

R32 rear ARB is first on the list and will see how I get on with that. The thing really does roll heavily but spending another K on it is just a bit too much of a dump (pays off a years mortgage overpayment, which I'd rather do tbh!).

Check your tyre pressures? Why not stick a few more psi on the rears before you do the R32 rear ARB mod and see how you get on? I personally wouldn't recommend doing the ARB mod on standard shocks, but it's entirely upto you.

Check your tyre pressures? Why not stick a few more psi on the rears before you do the R32 rear ARB mod and see how you get on? I personally wouldn't recommend doing the ARB mod on standard shocks, but it's entirely upto you.

Not heard of either of those before, fella. PSI at the rear being higher = less understeer?

And I thought on standard suspension the R32 ARB mod was a "must"?

Not heard of either of those before, fella. PSI at the rear being higher = less understeer?

And I thought on standard suspension the R32 ARB mod was a "must"?

Just think of sticking higher pressures in the rear as simulating a bigger rear ARB, not less understeer as such, but better turn in, of course it may change the rear end ride a little, have a play. R32 ARB mod isn't a 'must do' mod in my opinion, it really depends on how you use your car.

I replaced the front wishbones, front shocks, front springs, all drop links and rear springs all with OEM and it felt nicer to drive. Just what I want and I don't feel it rolls that much compared to before but I drive it just like a normal car anyway.