Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By g60leigh
  • 2 Post By vfr800
  • 1 Post By aragorn

Thread: VCDS query

1st Gear

Status

VCDS query

i have the cheapie blue ebay vagcom interface cable, my question is what do i need to do/ how much is it to get the right software so that i can clear faults and do logging etc??

i have vcds lite but as far as i can see it is useless in every way
    `02 S3 AMK now sold, need more doors so along comes an '04 Seat LCR Bam 225, badger5 tip, s2000 filter, very high mileage now with badger5 remap @ 275.5bhp.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Register it...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Register it...

<tuffty/>
    so I register it and pay the £99 is that then the full version?
    `02 S3 AMK now sold, need more doors so along comes an '04 Seat LCR Bam 225, badger5 tip, s2000 filter, very high mileage now with badger5 remap @ 275.5bhp.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigandbald View Post
    so I register it and pay the £99 is that then the full version?
    $99 but yes... full version... however... the caveat is its tied to the computer you registered it on... with a genuine lead you can install VCDS on anything and use the lead with it... the genuine lead acts as a 'dongle' to allow the full version of VCDS to work...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1998573
    $99 but yes... full version... however... the caveat is its tied to the computer you registered it on... with a genuine lead you can install VCDS on anything and use the lead with it... the genuine lead acts as a 'dongle' to allow the full version of VCDS to work...

<tuffty/>
    Possibly depending on the quality of your 'cheapie' cable, you may find that you get a lot of communication errors when using it.
    I tried the eBay one and also ended up with one of the more expensive 'copies' and had nothing but problems with them.

I invested in the full genuine version from one of the authorised retailers and have not had a single problem since.

If your planning on using it a lot, my advise would be to save your cash and buy genuine.
    <tuffty/> likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

4th Gear

Status
    It's not the "full" version.

For your 99US$ you get a registered/working version of "VCDS Lite" which is locked to that computer, it's very useful but you can't reset service indicators / intervals + a few other things ... see here-> Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

If you buy it and decide you want full VCDS in the future they'll discount the 99US$ off the price of a full cable.

Some of the eBay cables don't work very well.

I run mine in a Windows XP virtual machine on my MacBookPro and it does everything I need it to.

Liam
    Sandra and AlexCW like this.

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Ofcourse you can reset service indicators. You just dont have a big spastic-mode button on the front page to do it for you.

You just open the correct adaption channels and reset the values. It all used to be extremely well documented on their website, but i've noticed recently they're making the info harder to find as they introduce these automatic features in the newer versions.

I've used ebay cables for years, and NEVER had a problem. Sometimes the drivers set a silly latency which can cause connection issues but this is fixed easily with a few mouse clicks.

For older cars like the 8L and B5 A4's VCDS Lite is pretty much all you need.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Ofcourse you can reset service indicators. You just dont have a big spastic-mode button on the front page to do it for you.

You just open the correct adaption channels and reset the values. It all used to be extremely well documented on their website, but i've noticed recently they're making the info harder to find as they introduce these automatic features in the newer versions.
    Ah! Thanks, I stand corrected. It would be useful to know the adaption channels and values etc. if you have them to hand? before I go searching. Although it's a lot safer to have a big fluffy button to press.

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Audi Service Interval Reminders

That usually works on most cars.

Theres other channels documented here that you can also tweak/adjust:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: VW Service Interval Reminders
    vfr800 likes this.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigandbald View Post
    i have the cheapie blue ebay vagcom interface cable, my question is what do i need to do/ how much is it to get the right software so that i can clear faults and do logging etc??

i have vcds lite but as far as i can see it is useless in every way
    Sorry don't think I answered your question properly the first time. A registered VCDS Lite is your cheapest option, it can be used to log and clear faults.

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Audi Service Interval Reminders

That usually works on most cars.

Theres other channels documented here that you can also tweak/adjust:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: VW Service Interval Reminders
    Thanks!!!

Liam