2002 s3 suspension and top mounts what should I get??

Donk1

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the s3 out and one of the front springs broke . Im thinking about just changing all the springs and shocks as its done 85k and everything is probably a bit tired now . While I was checking it over today I noticed the front top mounts have also seen better days so I'm going to change them at the same time.

where's the best place to get new suspension and what should I go for oem or aftermarket . Iv had loads of after market setups over the years and have learnt some set ups have been to stiff for the road and just ruin the handling.

Also the same for the top mounts where should I get them from and oem or aftermarket .

The car won't be used on the track .

Iv had a look round and I'm going to get seat Leon cupra r front mounts and bearings.

What shocks and springs should I go for I'm not that intrested in coilovers as its not going to be used on the track and don't want to go to low . What are the weitec ultra gt lowering kits like they don't seem a bad price and only lower 20mm

I had the Weitec Ultra GT 20mm lowering springs and shocks on my previous S3 and they felt like OEM. My current car has the Koni kit which feel more sporty , they are similar price too if bought from DPM Performance.

Lemforder top mounts and bearings from GSF are ok if ECP don't have any.

These are the kits I would consider

weitec ultra gt lowering kit
weitec gt coilovers
bilsteins
kw v1 coilovers

buy is really worth the extra money going for the Billy's or coilovers if its not going to be used on the track I'm after something that will improve the handling but not at the expense of being crashy and harsh to drive normally

My Bilsteins are great for the road, not crashy at all, but they are not cheap.

bilsteins are good and used on a lot of cars from the factory but they expensive for shocks and springs.

Im leaning towards getting some kw v1's as you can get them for £750 at the moment but are they that much better then say the weitec ultra kit that cost about £480.

Iv had a look on line and found bilstein b12 for £600 new so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and probably going to order them .

Iv ordered the Bilstein b12 pro kit from GNJ Motorsport this morning hopefully I receive the kit this week so I can fit them at the weekend.

Do the b12 kits come with new top nuts , damper sleeves and bump stops ?

Iv found the following part numbers for the top mounts and the other bits im going to order.

1HO 412 365A Threaded sleeve
1ML 412 331 LCR Top Mounts
1JO 412 249 Top mount bearing

Are there any other parts that people would recommend fitting at the same time which may get damaged while fitting or would make install easier.

New top mounts and bearings when fitting new suspension is a good idea, as it's all coming off. But of a no brainer for the cost of the parts.

New top mounts and bearings when fitting new suspension is a good idea, as it's all coming off. But of a no brainer for the cost of the parts.

I thought I might as well do them while iv got it off. I never intended in doing much to the s3 but I knew I would ended up getting carried away iv used a broken spring as en excuse to change all the shocks and springs.