Chris NottBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveSAS

Thread: Exhaust?

Neutral

Status

Exhaust?

Hi, before getting a stage 1 remap would it be beneficial to get a better exhaust for my S3 & which one is best?

Have seen some downpipes that do away with the cat, is this the way to go & does it affect the MOT in any way?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure if beneficial for stage one. But definitely beneficial generally.

I have a Milltek cat back system and am very happy with look sound and quality of it.

Also have a relentless manifold and down pipe including sports car which offer a nice improvement in performance but the quality is hit and miss.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for your reply, so you have a sports cat rather than standard?? I was looking at a stainless steel exhaust decat downpipe from toyosports. Does this mean the I will have no cat at all on exhaust & what is the difference between sports cat & no cat?? One for the road one for the track?

1st Gear

Status
    I went for a 100 cell sports cat on a subaru gb270 and it just scraped by on emissions. Not sure how this would compare with an s3 but don't think they will be that different. 200 cell is slightly more restrictive but safer at mot time, I dont think it will pass an mot with a decat. Stainless Creations made me a bespoke 3" system which was very reasonable compared to an off the shelf unit

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    If you decat a car it will usually fail the MOT on emissions (unless you have a friend who happens to do MOT tests)
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSAS View Post
    Hi, before getting a stage 1 remap would it be beneficial to get a better exhaust for my S3 & which one is best?

Have seen some downpipes that do away with the cat, is this the way to go & does it affect the MOT in any way?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve
    Relentless Downpipe with miltek catback .

De Cating you risk a lot, its illegal to have a straight through, so if you get pulled over and the happen to check it, uh oh. Plus as stated it'll fail MOT

It more comes into play when going to try head for stage two, don't think its much gain on stage one, as you can pretty much remap stage one as standard.

As stated again, it'll certain sound nicer, and help towards performance a bit
    Tovs

Neutral

Status
    Cool guys, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Will stick with a cat then as don't want MOT hassles. So is the choice to leave the standard cat alone and replace the rest of system or to have a sport cat as well?? What are the extra benefit of that?
    Also the the two common systems for our cars are Miltek & Jetex, is this all?? Which is best?

Thanks
    Steve

1st Gear

Status
    As a general consensus on here your prob best off getting a full exhaust done, with a 3" downpipe, then a decent flowing air filter (either panel or cone) 'then' get a custom map-to make the most out of your mods, r-tech, badger 5, unicorn motor developments all do custom mapping and seem to be well regarded on here.
    People seem to favour miltek (but they come with a price) I've heard cobra, blueflame well recomended, or maybe a custom exhaust ? Power flow, long life exhgausts !?! They can make up decat replaceable sections.
    2002 bam s3, 3" custom turbo back/decat, unicorn MD custom map with pops n bangs ;-), b5 tip, s2k filter, forge 008, uprated intercooler, more to come :-)

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that info. Was looking around nearest places to where I live (Dartford, kent) & have found flash mapping in bexleyheath & AMD in essex that can also do deals on exhausts filters etc as well.
    m19lte likes this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that advice lads, yes Miltek for whole system very expensive, anyone know anything of this Vortex system? Edd China's name on it lol