• 1 Post By Jason.s
  • 1 Post By RobinJI
  • 1 Post By jojo
  • 1 Post By Westy

Thread: Some more goodies for the Ess.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Smile Some more goodies for the Ess.

Just got back from VW and the powder coaters.

New front ARB and OEM bushes.

Freshly powder coated front arms/subframe, clamps and bush holder thing.

034 subframe bushes.

And some poly bushes, which I didn't bother taking a pic of.

I had no intentions of polybushing my front end, but I managed to get the whole shabang for a bargain, so was hard to say NO, it's basically a complete lower front suspension rebuild, which should outlast the car hopefully. I have new drop links aswell, and I need to get some new lower balljoints, then find a nice day in the next 12 months to fit it all!
    s3dave and Jason.s like this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Down under

Status
    Steering rack mount? The solid one seems good.

What ARB is that?
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Steering rack mount? The solid one seems good.

What ARB is that?
    Yes, need a new one of those too, going OEM, I don't see the benefit of a poly item there.

ARB is a 21mm one.

Down under

Status
    Fair play. Steering feel is improved (mines solid mounted). VW obviously saw benefit, the MK5/6 are both solidly mounted racks without the bush.

Blimey, what size rear? 22? 24? I can't seem to find anything bigger than 20mm rear here
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Fair play. Steering feel is improved (mines solid mounted). VW obviously saw benefit, the MK5/6 are both solidly mounted racks without the bush.

Blimey, what size rear? 22? 24? I can't seem to find anything bigger than 20mm rear here
    19mm rear

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    19mm rear
    Not worried about under steer?

6th Gear

Status
    Hope that 21mm bar is right. Looks alright. Was just a bit sceptical going for a bar no ones fitted. Especially someone else doing it. I dont mind doing it myself as it doesnt cause anyone hassle if its wrong and i can send it back easy lol.

Just need a 23mm rear now.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Not worried about under steer?
    Why would a 19mm rear cause understeer? If anything, it makes it oversteer, like in my avatar. I'm trying to balance my car with this ARB setup based on my current suspension setup and geometry.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Hope that 21mm bar is right. Looks alright. Was just a bit sceptical going for a bar no ones fitted. Especially someone else doing it. I dont mind doing it myself as it doesnt cause anyone hassle if its wrong and i can send it back easy lol.

Just need a 23mm rear now.
    I will find out soon enough, if it doesn't fit, then the 19mm is going back on Jase.

6th Gear

Status
    It oversteers when you lift off or you have crappy Avons on it Jo haha.

Only once has my kicked out on r32 rear bar and that was with Avons

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    look forward to a review jo, i wouldnt mind some solid subframe mounts and bigger arbs F and R

Down under

Status
    Why would a 19mm rear cause understeer? If anything, it makes it oversteer, like in my avatar. I'm trying to balance my car with this ARB setup based on my current suspension setup and geometry.
    Not the 19mm rear. More the larger front than rear was what I was getting at.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    It oversteers when you lift off or you have crappy Avons on it Jo haha.

Only once has my kicked out on r32 rear bar and that was with Avons
    I had Falken 452s on the rear in the clip Jase, and when they see water, they are shyte!

Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    look forward to a review jo, i wouldnt mind some solid subframe mounts and bigger arbs F and R
    I drove Rhubarbs fully polished example, and it did feel tighter than mine all round, without being harsh to be fair, but he did have standard suspension and ARBs

Not the 19mm rear. More the larger front than rear was what I was getting at.
    I'm currently running 19/19, needs a bigger front to make it more neutral, back end has TOO much grip atm.

2nd Gear

Status
    Happy days mate I haven't forgot about you just had a load on be In touch soon

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3-Lee View Post
    Happy days mate I haven't forgot about you just had a load on be In touch soon
    No worries Lee, and no hurry neither, we both know what's priority mate.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I'm currently running 19/19, needs a bigger front to make it more neutral, back end has TOO much grip atm.
    I found the same problem tbh....only managed to 'fix' it by changing the front tyres to the rears to make it more interesting and predicatable through the corners (less tread now on the back).

If this set up works for you I think I may follow in your footsteps come spring time as I'll be needing 4 new tyres and so I'll be getting grip overload again at the rear.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

6th Gear

Status
    Or could always step down on the rear arb to a 16mm?

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Or could always step down on the rear arb to a 16mm?
    What's the standard rear ARB on the S3 again?

Joe- have you changed the engine mounts if you're giving the whole front end a refresh? Or are they in decent nick?
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

6th Gear

Status
    14mm was standard. 19mm was R32. Theres also a 13mm and 16mm. Guessing maybe the 16mm was from the 4mo 2.8 mk4.
    kwistof likes this.

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Didn't they do 14mm and 15mm in standard and Gmbh form? I'm sure mine was 15mm when I removed it.

Either way Jojo, your driving style must differ to mine as I'm thinking about going larger than 19mm at the back. This could be because I'm used to driving the Pug in summer which has a 24mm rear ARB though
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

1st Gear

Status
    Adding a larger front ARB will give the front less grip and the rear more. If you've got too much rear grip you need to downsize your front or increase the size of the rear ARB.

Running a stiffer ARB resists roll by pushing the outside wheel into the tarmac harder, causing more weight transfer at that end of the car and therefore less grip on that axle. As the car's total weight transfer isn't effect by roll resistance, this in turn causes less weight transfer and therefore more grip at the other end of the car. It's why hugely front heavy FWD cars always run huge rear ARBs.
    Last edited by RobinJI; 23rd October 2013 at 17:15. Reason: Clarity
    Jason.s likes this.
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwistof View Post

Joe- have you changed the engine mounts if you're giving the whole front end a refresh? Or are they in decent nick?
    Original engine mounts, just a poly dogmount.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinJI View Post
    Adding a larger front ARB will give the front less grip and the rear more. If you've got too much rear grip you need to downsize your front or increase the size of the rear ARB.

Running a stiffer ARB resists roll by pushing the outside wheel into the tarmac harder, causing more weight transfer at that end of the car and therefore less grip on that axle. As the car's total weight transfer isn't effect by roll resistance, this in turn causes less weight transfer and therefore more grip at the other end of the car. It's why hugely front heavy FWD cars always run huge rear ARBs.
    It's hard for me to explain, but the balance of running 19/19 F/R is not balanced, the back end is snappy, especially in the wet! I need to the front end to be tighter to counter balance the back end, but like with everything else, mods on cars are subjective, not very mod is for everyone, so going 21mm front is a trial in itself, so let's see if it works, for MY suspension setup, and MY driving style.
    s3dave likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Original engine mounts, just a poly dogmount.
    But very low mileage remember lol

1st Gear

Status
    It's hard for me to explain, but the balance of running 19/19 F/R is not balanced, the back end is snappy, especially in the wet! I need to the front end to be tighter to counter balance the back end, but like with everything else, mods on cars are subjective, not very mod is for everyone, so going 21mm front is a trial in itself, so let's see if it works, for MY suspension setup, and MY driving style.
    That's cool. I wasn't trying to say anything was right or wrong, just making the actual dynamic effect of changing ARB's clear. I'm all for having a play and seeing what happens. It'll be interesting to see how you get on.

Personally I've found that running a large rear ARB on my car has made the back end more predictable. It's more likely to step out than it did with the old smaller one, but when it does it's a much more predictable and progressive loss of traction, it doesn't snap in the same way it could before, and the overall grips been increased because the front's not washing out. (Running 19mm front 25mm rear, not that a Scirocco's comparable anyway!)

Good wheel control's essential for predictable and controllable handling; if the back end's snappy it could worth looking at killing as much flex as you can back there. What bushes are you running out back?
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    I don't find it snappy at all tbh. You must turn in sharp all the time? Get some quality tyres man! Lol. How's your alignment? Think I've got 1.4 on the front which is max on standard wishbones. Rear is 1.6 as the tie bars got stiff lol. Wouldn't mind some top mounts to dial in a bit more on the front.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    What are my arbs jo? I can't remember what size they are!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I don't find it snappy at all tbh. You must turn in sharp all the time? Get some quality tyres man! Lol. How's your alignment? Think I've got 1.4 on the front which is max on standard wishbones. Rear is 1.6 as the tie bars got stiff lol. Wouldn't mind some top mounts to dial in a bit more on the front.
    You don't have my suspension setup though, no one does, having uprated ARBs is one thing, but it has to work with the suspension/wheels/tyres! I will get my car to how I want it eventually, but it's a lot of trial and error, the 21mm front ARB is the next step, as I've tried the 22mm setup already!

Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    What are my arbs jo? I can't remember what size they are!
    22/19 neuspeed arbs you have Gops! The specs on your car when I got it was basically the custom setup EssThree did on his car many years ago, and it works!

4th Gear

Status
    Hi JoJo

Where'd you get the coating done? How much did it cost?

I need to get exactly the same done to my spare subframe and wishbones etc.

Ta, Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Hi JoJo

Where'd you get the coating done? How much did it cost?

I need to get exactly the same done to my spare subframe and wishbones etc.

Ta, Liam
    City powder coaters in Birmingham.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Joe. Are you getting the adjustable arbs? They Will help you fine tune your setup. I'd expect the difference in a 19" rim compared to a 17" rim would make quite a big difference to the handling.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Joe. Are you getting the adjustable arbs? They Will help you fine tune your setup. I'd expect the difference in a 19" rim compared to a 17" rim would make quite a big difference to the handling.
    No mate, 21/19 is the setup I'm going for, there's a reason for it, but I will explain later. I'm currently running 18s, which is the best size for handling from my experience. My 19s use to be good, but it doesn't work with my current suspension setup, which is why I've put them up for sale.

Status
    No mate, 21/19 is the setup I'm going for, there's a reason for it, but I will explain later. I'm currently running 18s, which is the best size for handling from my experience. My 19s use to be good, but it doesn't work with my current suspension setup, which is why I've put them up for sale.
    Smaller the wheel the bigger the tyre profile which will be a lot more forgivng as it flexes in corners. The bigger your wheels the thiner your tyre profile gets and less tyre wall movement.
    Jason.s likes this.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Smaller the wheel the bigger the tyre profile which will be a lot more forgivng as it flexes in corners. The bigger your wheels the thiner your tyre profile gets and less tyre wall movement.
    It's a weight thing too, BBS 18s are much lighter than the 19s I have, and with the corrected camber I have on the back, the 19s now catch slightly under load!

Status
    It's a weight thing too, BBS 18s are much lighter than the 19s I have, and with the corrected camber I have on the back, the 19s now catch slightly under load!
    Oh of course, but adding weight anywhere will effect cornering
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread