S3 (AMK) clutch kit suggestions.

g60leigh

Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend a good kit to replace my clutch (and I guess flywheel too)

Would like something updated but not necessarily too extreme. The car is a daily driver but want to slightly future proof it.

I went for Valeo clutch and solid mass flywheel kit from eurocarparts, think I got a 25% off code or something. Happy with it so far.... AMK too

I went for Valeo clutch and solid mass flywheel kit from eurocarparts, think I got a 25% off code or something. Happy with it so far.... AMK too

What needed replacing to convert to single mass?
Any down side to it?
Can you remember how much it all cost?

Thanks

Single mass flywheel will produce more gear chatter noise but the plus side is you will never have to replace a single mass flywheel and a single mass kit will be cheaper and dare I say it hold more torque??

Dont bother with the valeo clutch. It might look appealing but when it goes in the future you cant use any other clutch on that flywheel other than another like for like Valeo clutch.

Stick with what we`ve been talking about.

Looking like I'm going for LUK DMF (which I think is oem?)
And a stage 2 Kevlar clutch kit plus the concentric slave cylinder.

Need to find out how much fitting will set me back.

Where are you getting these parts from?

Ok ill check it out
Any ideas on price for this set up

Found a 6 paddle clutch on that site last night for 150? I think anyway. That looked quite taaty.

£300 for stage 3. £236 for stage 2. £210 for stage 1.

Well after some deliberation and getting advise.

I think I'm going to go with
LUK DMF. £260
LUK concentric slave cylinder and flywheel bolts. £35 aprox
CGM stage 3 paddle clutch kit with uprated pressure plate. £305

Now need to find cost of fitting 😕

I'm unsure of the paddle clutch. Think it could be a complete pig to drive?? Can anyone who has one give me some advice please.

Spoke to a number of people with up rated clutches and decided to just go for it and gone for a paddle clutch.
Spoke to the retailers and they say that it's listed as 5 paddle but will probably be a 6 paddle? Not sure which is better to be honest.

I run an LuK DMF, LuK pressure plate and Sachs 4 puck paddle plate on mine... pedal is light as OE, there is more bite but non of the juddering normally associated with paddle setups..

Mine lasted 20k (mileage at the time I took my engine out) and prob would have got another 5k out of normal use...

Paddles do wear more quickly but clutch wear is hugely subjective... the DMF/pressure plate were new when I fitted them and show little signs of wear so I am going to just buy a new paddle plate and bung it all back together

<tuffty/>

Reactions: g60leigh
Be VERY wary, paul seems to have got lucky.

I had got a paddle and SMF on an engine i bought, which had less mileage than pauls, and both the cover plate and flywheel were ruined. The paddle was almost worn out, and both the coverplate and flywheel had about 0.5-1mm worn off them by the friction material.

Being a solid flywheel it was possible to have it machined flat and used again, however had it been a DMF it'd have been scrap.

Thanks mate.
Already purchased so committed now. Will keep in mind though for future inspection if ever needed.

This is why clutch choice, reviews etc are all to subjective. There is no definitive answer!
Buy whats affordable and won't slip under acceleration, simple.
Strike a balance between life, and price, that is all anyone can fo with a clutch, and until you try one or more for YOUR car and YOUR driving you will never know, and what people tell you could not apply to yourself/your car.

its a consumable, like tyres, everyone has differing opinions of those too.

Reactions: s3dave, Jason.s and g60leigh
I Always thought DMF was a no no on high power?

Depends if you are launching it all over the place tbh... the 02M gearbox itself is technically rated to 350nm/258ftlbs... most remaps surpass that...

I guess it largely depends on application...

<tuffty/>

Clutch been done for about a week now and I'm pleased with it.
Peddle is nice and light.
Bite is sharp.
Very much on or off tho but manageable in traffic and hill starts etc.

Still bedding in so not really launched it yet. But feels ready for it.

Reactions: Jason.s
sorry to bring up an old thread but im currently looking at a stage 3 cg kit and wondering how you got on with your kit not its been in for some time

It has. But car has been off getting other work done for a good spell.
I can't complain at all with it so far. Nice and smooth. But with a sharp bite.