Brakes binding after new pads and discs... Help!

bs101508

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just changed my pads and disks all round, the brakes (pretty sure its the rears) are now binding so that I have to give the car a bit of gas to make it move at all... Obviously I don't want to drive it in this condition so I managed to get it into the garage where it will stay for now!

Has anyone else had these problems after new pads and discs? I was thinking it could be something to do with the handbrake, I had to wind the pistons back quite some way in the rear to fit the thicker fresh pads and disks, could this be part of the problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

(By the way my car is an 1998 A3 8L 1.8t AGU)

Ben

is the calipers moving freely on the pins/sliders ?

the pistons should be wound all the way back with new discs and pads.

The caliper seems to be moving okay and the pistons were wound back more than enough to make space for the pads and discs...

I have a feeling it might be the handbrake failing to release all the way with all that new thickness from pads and discs. Hmm.

Scrap that, its the fronts! I changed the discs on the front but not the pads as eurocarparts sent me the wrong ones... could this be what it is? Old pads on new discs? Bearing in mind it hasn't been driven since I changed the parts...

Hi aragorn, yeah its both fronts... Can't get them to turn while its jacked up using moderate force, don't want to try harder in case it comes off its stands! I can't think of any other reason why this would happen :(

The pads are in pretty bad condition, fairly heavy scoring etc. Just put them on until the new ones show up as I'm not driving it at the moment.

Any ideas?

can you get the front pads off now and start over ?.. old pads if anything ,would be more likely to not work than bind on

As Jay said are the calipers moving freely on the pins? Did you clean and grease them while you had the calipers off?

No they wern't cleaned and greased as I knew I would only be reversing it into the garage until I had new pads!

I'll properly clean and grease everything when I put the new pads on. This is probably the issue!

Thanks everyone, will report back once new pads are fitted and everything is greased up :)