Flywheel options

"better" by the means that the car will rev easier and release a little bhp

but you will get noisey or rattly nosies at idle

dmf and smf have there pros and cons

Yeah by the means of a bit more bhp the 3 av got is a work on progress bit it's soon to be running around 350 bhp

I have a Spec billet flywheel in my S3. the noise is acceptable when the AC is off. If AC is turned on, it rattles like a mofo...
The only thing is, that you have a lot more noise and vibration when you are breaking on the engine.

But in combination with a Sachs organic race clutch (I have the one without springs in it, zo no dampening at all) it drives awsome. launches @7000rpm go flawless. And you can drive normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jason.s and s3dave
i didnt know the SMF was avil for us Quattro boys, anyone have any links as my DMF has started to knock

Im looking at a stage 2 clutch (from cg.motorsport) for my soon to be remapped 8L S3. Any one have one of these already? What are they like - how much 'stiffer' than standard?

Mmm, my research tells me that Kevlar is a bad choice for those of us that need to do stop / start traffic - there is a chance of overheating the Kevlar it seems - if this happens, the clutch can be toast. Might just stick with LUK / OEM.

ecs stage 3 clutch and fidanza flywheel here .. rattling at idle has got better since gbox fluid additive was put in, but still noisy as a motherfo when engine breaking which i personally find pretty annoying for a road-car

apart from that it grabs nicely and the pedal motion feels like stock