golf vs a3

blitzed

Reaction score
Hi all i been out cruising tonight and had a run with a mates golf mk4 1.6 8v and he left me for dead so i dont know whats going on here i thought because i got the 1.6 16v i'd have the edge anyway i sat in his car after and it felt load faster than my a3 so is there more to it than just the engine whats everyones thoughts on this? also got this video from earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your an 8L (mk1 A3) ? Didn't think there was a 16v 1.6 in the 8L.

Is your an 8L (mk1 A3) ? Didn't think there was a 16v 1.6 in the 8L.

I dont know but it was one the main selling point the previous owner said it be quicker being 16v but even so mates golf left me for dead! and sitting in his golf it really pulled me back in the seat. im thinking maybe my a3 should pull like his golf but somethin is wrong with my engine its got me absolutely ****** off

I suspect your A3 has an 8v engine. Have a look for the vehicle data sticker either on the first page of the service book or in the spare wheel compartment. On there you will find the 3 letter engine code and the engine output in KW.

Your mates golf pulls round the clock fairly well, it looks to go better than any 1.6 8v golf I have experienced.

If you want a battle of the 1.6 engines buy an ek9 civic type r! You will wee all over your friends face! Or if money s tight an ek4 1.6 vti civic you will still wee on him.

Sean

Reactions: Tsportaudia3
Watching it over and over again it clears 90 mph like mine clears 30 mph and i had a look at other videos on youtube and all other 1.6 a3 accelerate like mine so now i dont think anything is wrong with my car

His is definately a 1.6? Not winding you up? How old are you by the way?

Or else convert it to 20v yours should be more or less plug and play if you get an agu ; )

His is definately a 1.6? Not winding you up? How old are you by the way?

Im 19 and yes it is a 1.6 although I can see what you mean watching that clip, he pulls through 80 mph effortlessly where mine struggle enough just gettin there

Golfs are quick,was it a red one as they are even quicker so I was told.

Reactions: CMcKenzie, Gops, Neilybabs and 1 other person
90% sure yours will be an 8v also, don't think they did a 16v 1.6 in the 8L. An engine bay pic would confirm.

there could be all manner of sensors not functioning correctly on yours causing it to be down on power

i just checked at a local garage and paid to have a diagnostic been told theres no fault codes and on the way back i tried from 30-80mph and i just dont understand. looking at the video he manages a 30-80ph in under 5 seconds i cant even get to 50mph in that time so have i bought a dud???

A heavy car like a golf with a 100bhp 1.6 engine does not do 30 - 80 in 4. something seconds!

Here's some 1.8T 150bhp golf specs:

1.8T (150)
Max speed: 131mph
0-60: 8.5 secs
0-100: 25.6 secs
30-70: 8.5 secs(through gears)
50-70: 9.4 secs(in top gear)

I would say the golf in that video is not an 8v 1.6, unless it is going down a very steep hill!

Reactions: Prawn
Are you definitely sure it cannt possibly be a 1.6? it got me confused and worried thinkin i bought a dud and now just wasted £40 on a diagnostic i didnt need.

Search 30 - 80 mph on youtube. Some pretty fast cars dont manage it.

I did think something was not right, he pulled 2 car lengths on me instantly and from there it was gone like I was in reverse. I think im going to flag him down next i see him he told me he had a 1.6 when i asked

thanks daz atleast i know nothin is wrong with my 1.6

Tbh id he interested to know what it is as it doesnt hang about. 1.8t no doubt. The music in that vid was loud which would mask the turbo and dv noise.

That's definitely a 1.8t that's too quick to be a 1.6!

Although I do tell people my car is an S3 replica and that it's a 1.6 hahaha!! their faces after I destroy them = priceless!!

The video has clearly been sped up.

It's so obvious.

Reactions: Gops
If thats a 1.6 i need to sell this sh!tty S3 and buy one!!

Reactions: Gops
The video has clearly been sped up.

It's so obvious.
he was seriously fast plus i noticed his black rub strips against his silver paint so atleast i thought it was either 1.4 or 1.6 and he did say its a 1.6